Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Warning during libifport.dll initialization crashes PC

Darrell
Beginner
Our customer just reported getting the error message box, Warning during libifport.dll initialization:
Non-compatable version of Fortran libifcore DLL was loaded to process address space

What does this mean?
What do I do about it?
It's not a warning if it doesn't work then the computer crashes, it's a fatal error, right?

We have Intel Visual Fortran 11.1 on Windows XP SP3 (32-bit).

I took the runtime DLLs from the Visual Studio redistribution directory.
I used Dependency Walker to verify everything was working on a virgin test machine (without the compiler installed) for the Release build of our DLLs before sending it to them.

We're used to "DLL Hell" but I've never seen this error message before, any ideas?

I'd really like to get our C++ wrapped Fortran DLLs to not be dependent on the runtime libraries but according to the manual on the /DLL linker switch, that's no longer possible?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
I have not seen this error before. What version of Microsoft Visual Studio did you compile with and what version did you take the redistributables from. Did you mix versions at all in your application (Microsoft or Intel).

More details on redistrbutables here.

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
Darrell
Beginner
We tried to get all the developers to use the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 with Intel Visual Fortran 11.1 but that doesn't work (yet?). It's the same problem we had when we purchased the latest VC2008 with IVF. We were told Intel hasn't integraded the IDE yet so we had to downgrade to VS2005. Now we have a confusing nightmare of half the developers with VC2005 and have with VC2008 then various versions of VF11 and 11.1.

To mitigate the nightmare, one machine with VC2008 & Intel VF11.1 did the Release Build from ClearCase revision control's integration stream. We took the redist dir from that install of Visual Studio and provided the runtime DLLs for both Microsoft C and Intel Fortran. I used a clean Wndows XP machine (without the compilers installed) to prove the program ran and the DLLs loaded correctly. Then gave the build to the customer who has the weird error message quoted above.

We have all the C++ wrapped Fortran DLLs set to multi-thread and call via JNI from Java 6.

I followed your link--it's the same redist as comes with the compiler, right? I dug a little further and got a dead link to the FAQ below that needs to be fixed on the Intel website:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/redistribution-of-application-binaries-built-for-microsoft-windows/
You can open or download the PDF document at the link below for detailed information on redistributable libraries for all the component products included with Intel Compiler Professional Editions for Microsoft Windows*.
11x_Redistribution_FAQ_Windows.pdf

I'm totally confused as to how I got it to work here. I just got off the phone with the customer. I'm going to take the laptop that works and fly out across the country to see if I can figure out what's going on while sitting in front of their computer.

What really confuses me about this error message is that it's not specific to which core file it's looking for?
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

Thanks for letting me know about the broken link. I am working on getting that fixed and getting you the .pdf. I am sorry I am not sure what is causing the error message, I don't see reports of it on my end.

Let me know when you have a test case or more information on site.

------

Wendy

0 Kudos
Darrell
Beginner
Mystery solved: customer found rogue version of one of the run-time library files in their c:\windows\system32 directory. That was in the path before the rest of them!

That moves this from show stopper to please consider rewriting error message to be clearer on the course of action required. As I said it's not a warning if the computer crashes, it's an error.

Something like:
Intel Visual Fortran fatal error: mismatched run-time libraries detected. Check System PATH and verify libif*.dll are all the same version. Delete and reinstall redistributables from intel.com
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

Thanks for following up. This is a good suggestion and I am forwarding it to engineering. While we are fixing the pdf files for redistributable problem I am attaching it here.

------

Wendy

0 Kudos