Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

X64 against WIN32

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Dear All:

I recently got a new Dell computer, put Windows7 64 bit and the Intel Fortran Compiler 64 bit onto the machine, after I updated my licence. I did not mean to do it. This is the latest IVF that is not beta.

I had not used this flavour, its telling me the following error upon running a program that has complied nicely before.

Warning 3 warning #6075: The data type of the actual argument does not match the definition. [LPARAM] B:\\Users\\John\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2010\\Projects\\CX1Reader4\\CX1Reader4\\CX1Reader4_mod.f90 539

cxClient = loword(lParam)

cyClient = hiword(lParam)

it is upset at the loword being a DWORD and the lParam is a long_ptr.

Is there a difference from WIN32 to WIN64 for these two types? Is there a fix?

Thanks

JMN

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Paul_Curtis
Valued Contributor I
Windows items need to be typed in a manner which automatically tracks 32- or 64-bits; these "universal" types are present in IFWINTY; here are the usual Windows proc arguments:

[bash]INTEGER(HANDLE), INTENT(IN) :: hwnd INTEGER(UINT), INTENT(IN) :: msg INTEGER(fWPARAM), INTENT(IN) :: wParam INTEGER(fLPARAM), INTENT(IN) :: lParam [/bash]

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Paul:

Thanks for the response.

I tried to download the 32 bit IVF, but we have had power outages all afternoon, but I just got it. I took off the X64 and loaded both back on. (Steve this is not beta, this is real Fortran)

Considering the various sources for this program , my own poor windows skills it is a wonder it runs at all, well actually it only runs because of much kind help here over the last few years.

It compiled and ran in 32 bit, so I need to go slowly through all of the calls and check the types against the IFWINTY module and the interfaces for the subroutines. It is not a trivial exercise, pretty much like writing it for the first time.

I am going to integrate the program into a 2012 SQL Server database using the German SQL Fortran routines, I am hoping they arrive tomorrow. Accountant type says they have paid for them, so fingers crossed. Out IT types do not like SQL Server.

Should be a lot of fun.

JMN
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Dear Steve:

It has taken a while to get a small windows program that runs nicely and will start me to do some real Fortran programming, whilst feelling slightly younger than a DEC 32 computer. I have it running under 32 bit as noted above, but there are a few quirky errors which I was wondering if you would look at in 64 bit compiler to tell me I am at least headed in the right and true path.

This program comes from many sources, including great help by Anthony Richards, Petzold's book, the great CVF book by Lawrence and yourself. I am not sure how many copyright owenreships I am breaching by putting the code here, but I am happy if anyone wants to try it, if there are errors please let me know.

PS: The code has source control embedded, just ignore it.
PS1:I chose the colour as tribute to Trapper John who wanted a Robin's egg blue convertible.

JMN

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee
Hi John --

Steve is on a well-deserved vacation, so won't get back to you until he's back.

We'll have the "second-string" take a look at your program -- I did download it, and got one error building (and a handful of warnings). Is that what you saw too?

--Lorri
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Lorri:

It is ok, you are talking to a third string man, so you are still in front.

Yes, the warnings are interesting, but the error had me stuck.

As I liberated the code as I went I was hoping to put it back onto this site so other third stringers like me had a model that worked in IVF modern instead of CVF Olde Englishe for a simple Windows program that works in Fortran. It is not pretty, it could be turned into modules, but it doth worketh. Slowly like me.

thanks
JMN.
0 Kudos
Anonymous66
Valued Contributor I
Hi John,

The error and warning are caused by using 4byte integers as pointers. In 32bit mode, pointers are 4bytes so this works, but in 64bit mode pointers are 8bytes.

You can work around the error by changing the lastargument passed to the functionDialogBoxParam on line 894 of InstronAnalysis_mod.f90. Instead of passing 0 for the pointer, pass "0_long_ptr" or "0_8"

I would suggest changing your code so that the pointer size is set automatically though.

Regards,
Annalee
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
[bash]function HiWord (param) import integer(WORD) :: HiWord !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DEFAULT :: HiWord !DEC$ IF DEFINED(_M_IX86) !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, ALIAS : '_HiWord@4' :: HiWord !DEC$ ELSE !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, ALIAS : 'HiWord' :: HiWord !DEC$ ENDIF integer(DWORD) param end function HiWord end interface interface !lib=ifwin.lib function LoWord (param) import integer(WORD) :: LoWord !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DEFAULT :: LoWord !DEC$ IF DEFINED(_M_IX86) !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, ALIAS : '_LoWord@4' :: LoWord !DEC$ ELSE !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, ALIAS : 'LoWord' :: LoWord !DEC$ ENDIF integer(DWORD) param end function LoWord end interface

[/bash]
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Dear Annalee:

I am not the world's best on pointers and such, but for the warning the LOWORD macro is defined with DWORD and LONG_PTR, in IFWINTY, LONG_PTR is variable but DWORD is fixed at 4. So it works at 32 but gives warning at 64, whereas there is a DWORDLONG, so why not use it?

Or am I completly lost?

JMN

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II
I looked at InstronAnalysis_mod.f90 and concluded it would be a long hard slog.I only got through a few hundred lines and found a few things that look like errors.[bash]InstronAnalysis_mod.f90 109: !integer*4 ret 139: integer(HANDLE) hbrush 163ff: lpszClassName = "InstronAnalysis"//ACHAR(0) 197ff: brush%lbStyle = BS_SOLID 420: integer(LONG) iSBheight 421: integer cxWidth, iStep, i ! A guess [/bash]
Just about any specification statement in a Windows program that writes out the number of bytes of an integer kind as an integer literal is suspect. Line 109 seems superfluous because ret is declared but never used. Perhaps you can get ifort to warn you about this? Line 139 is fatal because CreateBrushIndirect (just look up CreateBrushIndirect MSDN) returns an HBRUSH, which (look up Windows data types MSDN) is a HANDLE and so will be promoted on translation to x64. Lines 163 ff. are a needless DVF extension, as are lines 197 ff. which will cause problems if you try to catch errors en masse by requesting standards checking. There was no good reason to specify integer(2) in lines 420-421, and I ran out of energy there.

The Lawrence book is the best place to start Windows Fortran programming, but it was written before MicroSoft introduced 64-bit Windows and is not at all 64-bit safe. The only thing I know to do is to examine each INTEGER declaration with literal KIND number (e.g. INTEGER(4) x instead of INTEGER(HANDLE) x) and check the usage of the variable in question via MSDN and replace the literal with the appropriate name as illustrated in the above paragraph. The book's web site has the examples in the book and more; it would be nice if someone could update those examples to be 64-bit safe and fix errors and unnecessary extensions.
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Dear Repeat Offender:

Thank you for the comments. This is probably the most useful set from the Lawrence book, I am happy to fix it, just need to learn the X64 pointer stuff. Actually hating pointers does not help, but I will try.

Yes I know it is a long slog, it was a long slog to get this working in 32 as I had to learn Windows and C, whilst going deeply into the Fortran include files, and it was a long slog to get a Windows Driver to compile in Visual Studio 2010 instead of the WDK compilers, so now I can attach blinking lights to my programs to tell me there are high pressures in a system without having to look at the data.

I created a searchable PDF of all of the Fortran include files so I could get this working in 32 and then lost it. Looks like I am doing it again.

Thanks again.

JMN
0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

The warnings are all over the place, and I saw lots of good suggestions about how to fix them.

But, the error, the actual "sticking point" is in your file instronAnalysis_mod.f90, line 894.

The code is:

ret = DialogBoxParam(ghInstance,LOC(lpszName),hWnd, LOC(Dialog1), 0)

but should be

ret = DialogBoxParam(ghInstance,LOC(lpszName),hWnd, LOC(Dialog1), 0_LONG_PTR)

(Note: you have it specified that way in your other call to DialogBoxParam, around line 972)

--Lorri

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Is there a list somewhere of all of the Win32 and x64 types that we need to be aware of when changing our projects to x64?

There does not seem to be many references in the compiler documentation to x64 and nothing about migrating applications.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

I don't know of a list but all the types are near the top of ifwinty.f90 and the are comments there also. I just refer to that and to the API declarations documentation on the MSDN websites. You generally find the 'names' in the two locations tend to match up pretty well so minimal thinking is needed.  

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Typically problems occur when the program author takes shortcuts and doesn't use the defined kinds from the Windows interface modules. If the kinds are used, there is typically little issue porting programs to 64-bits.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor III

David White wrote:

Is there a list somewhere of all of the Win32 and x64 types that we need to be aware of when changing our projects to x64?

There does not seem to be many references in the compiler documentation to x64 and nothing about migrating applications.

Thanks,

David

If time and resources allow you, I suggest shooting for a goal of ZERO types that need any special handling when upgrading projects to X64 from WIN32; this can be done by making use of standard Fortran features for KIND definitions and standard intrinsic modules such as ISO_C_BINDING and ISO_FORTRAN_ENV.  At times, one may need to make use of an Intel extension e.g., INT_PTR_KIND() where Intel takes care of the architecture differences so the program author doesn't to include any platform-specific code.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Well, yes, that's the whole point of iNT_PTR_KIND() allowing you to address the difference without relying on a module.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Where is the documentation for INT_PTR_KIND and other Win32/x64 considerations?  There are only a handful of hits on x64 in the documentation.

David

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

I don't like INT_PTR_KIND because it's DVF/CVF/IFORT specific. I prefer C_INTPTR_T from the ISO_C_BINDING module, or something like INT_PTR from IFWIN (is it in there?), or even getting the KIND of a cray pointer is more transportable:

program p
   implicit none
!   integer(int_ptr_kind()) iptr ! fails on gfortran
   integer idummytarget
   pointer(idummypointer,idummytarget)
   integer(kind(idummypointer)) iptr
   write(*,*) bit_size(iptr)
end program p

But the main thing is to look up the function you are invoking in MSDN, and then going to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383751(v=vs.85).aspx to get a translation if required and then using the appropriate KIND from IFWIN. For other compilers you can write your own partial IFWIN as necessary.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Well, sure, if you're willing to use ISO_C_BINDING, and you should, then by all means use C_INTPTR_T.  But you should never, ever hard-code the kind in your code. If you're using the IFWIN declarations, constants for the various Windows API kinds are defined there.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor III

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

Well, sure, if you're willing to use ISO_C_BINDING, and you should, then by all means use C_INTPTR_T.  But you should never, ever hard-code the kind in your code. If you're using the IFWIN declarations, constants for the various Windows API kinds are defined there.

Steve,

Is there any thought at Intel to update modules for Windows programming such as IFWINTY, KERNEL32, etc. to use standard Fortran as much as possible, perhaps by making available a new set of "standard" modules for your users?  That is, per Repeat Offender's comment in Quote #19, can most references to INT_PTR_KIND() in IFWINTY be replaced with C_INTPTR_T from ISO_C_BINDING and if so, won't offering some solutions involving standard Fortran be a really nice feature for your users?  And over the long term, this may help reduce the support "burden" on Intel if more and more Windows programming users make use of standard-conforming types.

0 Kudos