Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

XCode 8.0 Plug-ins

ramin_a_
Beginner

Hi

After I update my mac os from 10.10 to 10.11 xcode does not recognize intel fortran compiler . I did some modification which was changing the address of compiler manually to intel fortran compiler installed directory in ifort plugins file which was in :

/Library/Application Support/Developer/6.4/Xcode/Plug-ins/IFORT 15.0 Compiler.xcplugin

my xcode version was 6.4 and intel compiler was 2015 update 2 . everything was fine (except debugger when using module or allocatable variable ) . again I updated my mac to Sierra in last week and Xcode 6.4 was not compatible with this version of mac so I updated my xcode to 8.0 . again xcode did not recognized my intel fortran compiler . after some searching web I find out I have to create a Shared folder and put the plugin inside it like :

/Library/Application Support/Developer/Shared/Xcode/Plug-ins/IFORT 15.0 Compiler.xcplugin

Now xcode recognize my intel fortran compiler but when i use build ther is a error ( intel fortran works in terminal and I can compile my fortran file inside terminal using ifort myfile)

ipo: warning #11016: Warning unknown option -no_deduplicate

ld: file not found: /Users/Alfred/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/main-cmdzktxskmwirzcgutlzgyrrqxgd/Build/Intermediates/main.build/Debug/main.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/main_lto.o

Command /opt/intel/composer_xe_2015.2.132/bin/intel64/ifort failed with exit code 1

I Updated the DVTPlugInCompatibilityUUID in info.plist with xcode 8 UUID but still get this error . 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The link failed due to the missing object (main_lto.o) and not the IPO warning. The IPO warning is a known issue (see here) that you can ignore.

While we believe our current PSXE 2017 release will work with Xcode 8.0; the official support will be available in our upcoming Update 1 for PSXE 2017 later this year. We do not support the combination of Xcode 8.0 and PSXE 2015 Update 2 (15.0 compiler) you noted using.

Because we do not support the combination you are trying to force to work together, I can’t comment or advise you about that. The missing object must relate to a failed compilation for the associated source file. You could look further upstream in the build output to see if there is evidence of a failed compilation and further clues about that; however, I don’t know that what you find will be resolvable if it relates to forcing the 15.0 compiler and Xcode 8.0 to work together.

I’d advise you consider upgrading to the PSXE 2017 release to use Xcode 8.0 although as I said, while we believe that will work, official support is upcoming in Update 1.

0 Kudos
Steven_T_
Beginner

I have the same issue.  I have OSX 10.11.6, Xcode 8.0, and Intel composer C/C++ and fortran 2017 compilers.  I can select the compilers in Xcode, but the error out during the build.  I use eclipse, too, but OSX intel compiler suite does not have eclipse IDE support plugins - only Xcode.  Is there working eclipse plugins for OSX?  When will there be an update to make Xcode compatible with Intel composer 2017?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It is usually the case that Apple makes incompatible changes from release to release of Xcode. We get very little notice of new versions and have to address any differences in the next update. At the least, you are required to uninstall and reinstall Intel Parallel Studio XE when you change Xcode versions (or even minor updates.)

See Kevin's comment above about updates.

As for Eclipse, we don't provide Eclipse plugins for Fortran, but current Eclipse distributions include a "Fortran Development Tool" that supports Intel Fortran. You'll have to check the Eclipse web site to see what the status is.

0 Kudos