Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

another unable to start

Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Hi,

We've been having persistent 'unable to start' or can't find errors, even though the executable has been made and is correctly located.  The executable will not run stand alone; I suppose for wrong libraries??  Sometimes things are ok and then they switch back.  When not ok, debug version may run (incorrectly) but not release.  The forum seems to indicate this may be a PATH problem.  I'm using VS 15 & the latest Fortran 2019 update 1.  The software runs correctly on a laptop w/ very little on it.  I cannot seem to install Fortran on community VS 2017.  Don't really care.

Q1: Is there a tool in VS2015 to tell it where to look (like the one in Amplifier?)

Q2:  Here is my PATH; as far as I can tell, it seems benign and current.

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow;C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\x86_amd64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\VCPackages;C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop;C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0A\bin\NETFX 4.6.1 Tools\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\..\..\intel64\libfabric\bin\utils;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\..\..\intel64\libfabric\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\..\..\intel64\bin\release;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\..\..\intel64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Advisor 2019\bin32;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Amplifier 2019\bin32;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Inspector 2019\bin32;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.185\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.124\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.4.210\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.065\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.187\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\mpirt;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\mpirt;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\compiler;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\compiler;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\.dnx\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DNX\Dnvm\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\SciTools\bin\pc-win64;d:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio;C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;D:\Program Files\PuTTY\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

The main use of this computer is to compile & run my software in Fortran so I don't mind dumping anything that is causing a problem.

I just spent a week fooling with my code only to discover it is not the problem.  Most appreciative of any help in this regard.  thanks.

0 Kudos
90 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

In Bruce's case it was relatively easy for me to identify him based on the content of his messages. This is not always the case for lesser known individuals. While I do not think this forum is the place for private messaging as it may be abused, I do think it would be appreciated if a user could at least click on a button that would send their contact information from IDZ directly to them. A message need not be included. This would permit Intel to avoid hosting a message board with content they do not want, and permit the users to connect with one another on subjects not pertinent to this forum.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It could sort of be like Facebook or LinkedIn where user A requests contact with user B, with a short message attached. User B has the choice to accept or ignore the request.

However, knowing what I do about IDZ, I have significant doubts that such a feature would ever be developed here, as there is heavy dependency on whatever open-source platform du jour the forums are based on. While I was with Intel this changed at least three times, and I have heard that another switch is in the works. I've been asked to provide some input on this, and I will include my thoughts on the value of private messaging.

I don't doubt that general PMs were disabled because of their heavy use by spammers; the IDZ forums suffered greatly from spam over the years, and while forum posts are relatively easy to spot and remove, PMs are not. There are of course various ways to reduce abuse, but spammers excel in finding ways around them.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The suggestion used in post #85 precludes the spammer from sending any message other than by creating a user account on IDZ with the "message" being the user handle and/or email address in contact info. The spam accounts could easily be identified programmicaly.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I am once again seeing "Send Author A Message". I received an acknowledgement of my inquiry to IDZ staff but not an actual response yet.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Doesn't show up on mine. Also, if you click your name link next to your photo, the next page is all goofed up. This may be an IE version 11 thing, as opening in Fire Fox it looks ok.

Jim

0 Kudos
Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Not so final, it turned out.

As I indicated in quote #75, I thought I was pretty much done with this thread but one (final?) bug crawled out from under the rock.  Another compiler switch that I spent a couple days on.  The symptom was that after running a random number of, but typically few million, iterations -- which is just getting started with my code-- , it would blow off, in release mode, typically w/o a traceback albeit requested.  Too many photons under the bridge to write debugging out to the disk before files became too large.  It worked fine in debug mode.  It turned out that selecting any optimization mode other than none, caused the problem.  So then, if I turned on the available individual optimizations with the general optimization level off, the code continued to work.  (It took me awhile to discover that turning on the individual optimizations w/o checking the custom optimization box accomplished nothing.  Perhaps a note on each of the individual optimizations?).

This seems to be yet another issue with the compiler switches.  Does anyone have an idea about what optimization level settings do that the individual optimizations don't?  Again, all the optimization levels except 'none', had the same problem but I have not been able to find any individual optimization that will cause the problem.

I suggest Intel compiler folks use a more complete regression testing set for the compiler options.  But for me, any experiences and solutions for this issue?

thanks again, Bruce

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I am not sure there isn't a hidden switch for this, but as an alternative add the option to enable an output listing file (Output property page).

A sample program here with Release build (/O2)

COMPILER OPTIONS BEING USED

/align:noall                          /align:nonone
  /align:nocommons                      /align:nodcommons
  /align:noqcommons                     /align:nozcommons
  /align:records                        /align:nosequence
  /align:norec1byte                     /align:norec2byte
  /align:norec4byte                     /align:norec8byte
  /align:norec16byte                    /align:norec32byte
  /align:norec64byte                    /align:noarray8byte
  /align:noarray16byte                  /align:noarray32byte
  /align:noarray64byte                  /align:noarray128byte
  /align:noarray256byte                 /altparam