Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised**

valerie_vallet
Beginner

I have installed the latest Intel Cluster 2016 Update1 and here is the error message I get when compiling the following realspace_grid_types.f90 file with the command 

mpiifort -FR -c -O2 -pc64 -unroll -qopenmp -heap-arrays 64 -lmkl_scalapack_lp64 -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_core -lmkl_intel_thread -lmkl_blacs_intelmpi_lp64 -lpthread -lm

here is the mpiifort version:

#mpiifort -V
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.1.150 Build 20151021
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

I attach the fortran file...

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

We would need source for the .mod files in order to compile this.  Did you update them with the new compiler?

In view of your setting -c, possible problems with your -l settings won't enter in at this stage.

The documentation of -pc64 and heap-arrays remains confusing.

pc64 doesn't make much sense without -mia32.  Maybe it has no relevance to your problem.

Steve Lionel consistently recommended against setting a value for heap-arrays.  It may mean that only arrays of size known at compile time can go on heap.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

You forgot to include your error message??

When the compiler gets segmentation error, this typically indicates an internal error.

This potentially can occur in release build with inter-procedural optimizations enabled and very large solutions/projects. When this is the case, you can back-off IPO on individual files and/or projects.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
valerie_vallet
Beginner

I have solved the problem by removing the "-heap-arrays 64" option... It remains a mystery why this causes a compilation issue, but well...

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

We'll check it out - any internal compiler error is a compiler bug. FYI, the "64" argument  to -heap-arrays is not worth specifying as it has no useful effect.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please provide a tar file of the sources of all the modules needed to compile this and reproduce the problem. You can use Intel Premier Support for this if you prefer. We would like to fix the compiler bug.

0 Kudos