Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28759 Discussions

compiled dll not working on machines other than one used to build project

Jonathan_Mills
Beginner

I have a dll com server project that I created in Visual studio and it is called from a vb executable. It works fine when run on the pc used to build the project but crashes during execution on any other machine that I have tried the compiled code on (The VB bit works fine).

I assumed that it was a problem with linking to certain libraries and have tried setting the libraries option to multthreaded or multithreaded with static option but neither makes any difference.

I have tried dependency walker on a machine where I have installed the software and it detects a problem with SHLWAPI.DLL and MPR.dll which can apparently be ignored according to http://www.dependencywalker.com/faq.html

On my machine used to build the project the dependency walker detects a missing ieshims.dll which again according to other posts may not be much of an issue.

No other problems are shown with dependencywalker. The error message raised when the program crashes is all but meaningless (an exception!).

Any ideas on how to track down this problem would be much appreciated.

thanks. Jonathan.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Which versions of Visual Basic are on the various systems? It does not sound like a DLL dependency issue at this point. Is your DLL linked to the static or DLL libraries?
0 Kudos
Jonathan_Mills
Beginner
Hi Steve,
sorry for delayed response. The various machines do not have VB development environment installed. They are just XP or vista machines with regular setup. The .net framework is installed with my setup though.

I have tried setting the fortran library options in the project properties menu to Debug Multithreaded (/libs:static /threads /dbglibs) or just 'multithreaded' but it makes no difference.

Does that help?
Jonathan
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The code "crashing" is very unlikely to be related to your choice of library type. Is the VB version the same on both systems? There have been incompatible changes made between VB versions.
0 Kudos