Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26754 Discussions

copy of component structure results in stack overflow

Pietro_P_
Beginner

hi,

i have an allocatable, rank=1 structure containing an allocatable component which is a real*8, rank=3 array, defined as follows:

db=kind(1.0d0) 
type griddata
    real(kind=db), dimension(:,:,:), allocatable :: u
end type
type(griddata), allocatable, dimension(:) :: gd

i allocate two griddata structures:

ngrids=2
allocate(gd(ngrids))

then if i try to copy the components from grid 1 to grid 2, and all of the following versions of the copy result in a stack overflow:

kgf=1
kg=2
! version 1 :
gd(kgf)%u = gd(kg)%u 
! version 2 :
gd(kgf)%u(1:nx(kgf),1:ny(kgf),1:nz(kgf)) = gd(kg)%u(1:nx(kgf),1:ny(kgf),1:nz(kgf))
! version 3 :
gd(kgf)%u(:,:,:) = gd(kg)%u(:,:,:) 

they work only if I hardcode the grid number:  gd(2)%u = gd(1)%u

instead, looping over the three dimensions of the component and performing the copy of the element works just fine:

kgf=1
kg=2
do i
do j
do k
  gd(kgf)%u(i,j,k) = gd(kg)%u(i,j,k)
enddo
enddo
enddo

what is happening?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

What will be happening is that in doing versions 1 , 2 and 3 the compiler is choosing to make a temporary copy of of some U data. You don't say what size the U's are allocated as but they must be significant in size I would expect. The compiler makes temporary copies when (for example) it is not sure or can't determine if the array data is contiguous. If this is sensible in this case I am not sure without further study.... 

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

That said an array that has been allocated should always be contiguous as that is a  requirement from  F2008..... maybe the compiler is being dumb or maybe it is because at compile time is does not know the shape of the different U's - they may be different????

Pietro_P_
Beginner

andrew_4619 wrote:

That said an array that has been allocated should always be contiguous as that is a  requirement from  F2008..... maybe the compiler is being dumb or maybe it is because at compile time is does not know the shape of the different U's - they may be different????

are you saying there is bug in the compiler?

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Not a bug, but a missed opportunity. This is an aspect that has been gradually improved over the years. I recall that assignments of allocatable components was an area in need of improvement in the past. Which compiler version are you using?

I would suggest setting the option /heap-arrays (Fortran > Optimization Heap Arrays > 0) to avoid the stack issue.

Pietro_P_
Beginner

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

Not a bug, but a missed opportunity. This is an aspect that has been gradually improved over the years. I recall that assignments of allocatable components was an area in need of improvement in the past. Which compiler version are you using?

I would suggest setting the option /heap-arrays (Fortran > Optimization Heap Arrays > 0) to avoid the stack issue.

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows*     Package ID: w_comp_lib_2016.4.246

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, Version 16.0.0063.2010

does the heap array workaround (btw it works great, thanks!) cause any issue regarding performance/ram usage? 

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I created a reproducer based on the OP's outline that confirms array copies are created. I submitted this to Development for further analysis regarding the missed opportunity Steve noted.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200417570)

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Kevin, you might also want to check to see if there are existing issues I filed on this in the past. It sounds very familiar.

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you Steve. Those I found thus far were fixed/closed. I'll update the associated internal tracking id for this thread if an existing case is found.