Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

cvf 6 + vb5 or is vb6 better?

billaustralia
Beginner
I currently create cvf 6 dll and a vb5 exe which calls it.
Anyone know any reason to move to vb6?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Only if there's something in VB6 you want.

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
A couple of other general reasons for switching would be support from Microsoft and compatibility. Does Microsoft still support VB5? I don't know, but perhaps you don't rely on MS for that. Are you distributing VB5 applications to other people? If so, are you encountering any compatibility problems with their computer systems that would be resolved by switching to VB6?

Mike
0 Kudos
billaustralia
Beginner
Thanks for the comments. Yes I do distribute my code to many users, but no compatability problems so far. Re ms support; tried and paid, but not a lot.

There may be one reason to upgrade. I am starting to use text resource files. I create them in a text editor for vb5 as I have been unable to find an rc editor within vb5. If I open these files in cvf, I get a very nice editor for them. But when I save them, vb5 can not read them.

Now if I go to vb6 maybe it will?
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice

Don't bet on it. Add the .res (binary) generated by the VS6 rc (the same resource compiler you get with VB6) to your VB5 project and that's it. If you want to change the .rc, double click it to bring up the rc, make changes, regenerate the .res, and add it to the VB5 project.

IMO, the reasons to go to VB6 from VB5 include:

1. you want to use ADO as opposed to DAO;
2. you want to use its string handling features (many of which are similar to those in the ISO_VARYING_STRING TR of Fortran, BTW);
3. you want appartment threading support. Multithreading in VB5 prior to SP2 was unofficially supported. SP2 for VB5 changed that.

You're welcome,
Gerry T.
0 Kudos
billaustralia
Beginner
Many thanks. I guess I was saving the .rc file in VF and trying to use that in vb5. But saved as 32 bit .res in vf and it went into my vb5 project fine.

So I will stick with vb5 I think.
0 Kudos