Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

debugger freezing Visual Studio

joerg_kuthe
Novice

Dear Fortran Friends!

For a couple of years I am experiencing the same problem with the debugger in Developer Studio (Digital/Compaq Visual Studio) and Visual Studio 2003 and 2005 (Intel Visual Fortran v8, v9):

When stepping through a Fortran app in the debugger, sometimes VS "hangs" and the task manager shows me that VSis consuming almost 100% of CPU time, but VS doesn't respond anymore to my actions. Sometimes VS reports an error that it cannot return from an "internal operation".
I had a customer who told me that he experienced the same and that he could step further in his app after waiting for more than 10 minutes. I never had that much patience. So I always killed VS and started anew.

However today,within the last hour I had to kill and re-start VS more than 10 times, and now I am fed up.

Does anyone has some help for me (I am still using VS2005 w/SP1 and IVF 9.1.3375.2005)?

Does the problem still exist with IVF v10.0 or IVF v10.1?

Does it help to change to VS2008?

By the way, a couple of customers are reportingthe same VS/debug behaviour, I wonder whether this has ever been discussed here.

Jrg Kuthe
www.qtsoftware.de

0 Kudos
45 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
IDB will be no longer supplied for Windows as of the next release, and typically if there is a Fortran-related issue in the VS debugger, it also affects IDB (but not always). We have not seen other reports of the VS debugger freezing.

Jrg, have you tried starting Windows in "Safe Mode" and seeing if the problem can be reproduced?
0 Kudos
joerg_kuthe
Novice
Dear Lionel,
thank you for asking.
Yes, today I run the debugger in VS2005SP1 (and IVF 10.1.21) on a system started in "safe mode" (no networking etc.) - and got stuck after about 5 minutes. I am happy to return to regular mode, since it is really no fun to work in 640x480...
Jrg
0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II

Any news on the debugger freezing situation?

My problem still exists... :-(

Markus

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We have not been able to reproduce this symptom.
0 Kudos
OnkelHotteatwork
Beginner

Maybe it has something to do with the german version of Windows? Since Jrg and I use Windows XP german...

Is there anything we could try to help you solving this problem?

0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II

Maybe it has something to do with the german version of Windows? Since Jrg and I use Windows XP german...

0 Kudos
tropfen
New Contributor I
I am using also the german version of Windows XP and i have the same problems.

I have a additional problem which in our view is correlated to the german version of Win XP. If we work with huge files and we are open and close a huge number of files the program stops somewhere in the middle. No comment just stops. This 'works' with IVF 9 to 10.1. But the programs working properly with CVF.

Frank
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
File a support request with Intel Premier Support and be sure to specify that you are using the German version of Windows XP.
0 Kudos
rwg
Beginner

Quoting - OnkelHotte@work

You can reproduce this effect if you put your mouse cursor on an Umlaut () in an comment or double click on a word with an Umlaut. To avoid freezing, replace those Umlaute.
0 Kudos
rwg
Beginner

By the way, I filed a support request with Intel Premier Support. It can be reproduced by Roland who forwarded the information to the developers.

This issus appears in VS2008 and DVF 6.0/6.1 too.

(I hope nobody noticed my unprofessionel loginId. I changed it)
0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II
Quoting - rwg

You can reproduce this effect if you put your mouse cursor on an Umlaut () in an comment or double click on a word with an Umlaut. To avoid freezing, replace those Umlaute.

Damn, youre right! I placed my mouse cursor over an Umlaut and the debugger froze immediately.

But that is a IVF specific error, while debugging a C# project the debugger does not freeze when I move the mouse over an Umlaut.

Markus

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - onkelhotte

Damn, youre right! I placed my mouse cursor over an Umlaut and the debugger froze immediately.

But that is a IVF specific error, while debugging a C# project the debugger does not freeze when I move the mouse over an Umlaut.

Markus

Must be something to do with the "tooltiip" display. Now that we can reproduce this, we can fix it.

0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II

Must be something to do with the "tooltiip" display. Now that we can reproduce this, we can fix it.

Thats great. I have a lot of Umlaute in my graphical and text output and I cant change them all... So I have to be cautious while debugging. "Dont touch that Umlaut or Ill freeze!" :-)

Markus

0 Kudos
Luis2
Beginner

I'm experiencing similar problems (VS hungs in debugging mode) using accented vowels in my comments ( !,...). I will try removing the comments of the source.

Luis

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee

A solution to this problem has been implemented and will be included in the next updates of both the 10.1 and 11.0 Intel Visual Fortran compilers. Each update is scheduled to be available in February, 2009.

If you can't wait that long, create a Premier Support issue and reference defect report DPD200049878.
0 Kudos
joerg_kuthe
Novice
Any news on that topic since the arrival of 11.1? I haven't installed v11.1 yet.
Thank you.

Regards,

Jrg Kuthe
www.qtsoftware.de
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The problem is fixed in the current version, 11.1.038.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Steve,

This may not be related, but it may have a small chance of being related.

I seem to recall a situation where an IVF user had installed the demo then upgraded to licensed product. For some reason the license manager was thinking that the software was still demo, would "phone home", find out it was release version, then continue. Although this is an IVF "startup" issue, it could potentially get entangled with DEVENV and the debugger. Could you dig up the instructions to turn off the IVF demo phone home (for licensed users).

Jim

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Steve,

This may not be related, but it may have a small chance of being related.

I seem to recall a situation where an IVF user had installed the demo then upgraded to licensed product. For some reason the license manager was thinking that the software was still demo, would "phone home", find out it was release version, then continue. Although this is an IVF "startup" issue, it could potentially get entangled with DEVENV and the debugger. Could you dig up the instructions to turn off the IVF demo phone home (for licensed users).

Jim

Nevermind the above

The umlaut posts were "missing" when I wrote this.

Jim
0 Kudos
joerg_kuthe
Novice
A couple of months have passed by since I raised this topic, but this problem still exists. In the meantime I have tried v11.1 with VS2008 but it didn't help. To get rid of ctfmon.exe didn't help either.
Today I had this problem a couple of times again and this time I recorded a debug session showing this obscure behaviour. The ..swf video takes about 7 min. and the file is about 21MB in size. Since I am mostly working with VS2005 SP1 and IVF v10.1.021 the problem is recorded using that version. Does it make sense to send it to http://premier.intel.com? Please let me know. Thank you.

Regards,

Joerg Kuthe
www.qtsoftware.de
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You can certainly submit this to Premier Support, but it would probably be better accepted if you were to show it with 11.1.
0 Kudos