Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

error #6416: This COMMON scalar or array is invalid in this context.

Vinod
Beginner

i am trying to modify a very complex existing code. but I am getting this error. I am updating this to use dynamic memory allocation. I can not share the whole code. but I am attaching a dummy code made  in the same way as the things are being done origianally. during building process, I am getting the error #6416.

Operating syste: Win 7 (enterprise edition)

Interface: Visual Studio 2010

Compiler: Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 8

Intel Form.zip contains the complete project. 

Any help in this topic will be highly appreciated. 

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Vinod 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

You can use fixed form too, the following uses .f90 format:

[fortran]

! RXN.F90
module RXN
      INTEGER :: NCOMP
      CHARACTER*30, ALLOCATABLE:: COMPID(:)

contains
      integer function AllocateCOMPID(n)
           integer :: n
           ALLOCATE(COMPID(NCOMP), STAT = AllocateCOMPID
           if(AllocateCOMPID .eq. 0) NCOMP = n
      end function AllocateCOMPID
end module RXN
================================
! yourProgram.f90
      PROGRAM MAIN

use RXN

INTEGER NCOMP,I, iError

OPEN (UNIT=5,  FILE="input.txt")

READ (5,*) I

iError = AllocateCOMPID(I)
      if(iError .ne. 0) STOP "Allocation Error"

READ (5,*) (COMPID(I),I=1,NCOMP)
      CLOSE(5)

CALL DISPLAY()

END

SUBROUTINE DISPLAY()
         use RXN

WRITE(*,*)  (COMPID(I),I=1,NCOMP)

END SUBROUTINE

[/fortran]

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You cannot put an allocatable array in COMMON. The typical solution to this would be to make COMPID a module variable in a module that was USEd by all the procedures that needed to reference it.

0 Kudos
Vinod
Beginner

jimdempseyatthecove wrote:

! RXN.F90 module RXN       INTEGER :: NCOMP       CHARACTER*30, ALLOCATABLE:: COMPID(:)       contains       integer function AllocateCOMPID(n)            integer :: n            ALLOCATE(COMPID(NCOMP), STAT = AllocateCOMPID            if(AllocateCOMPID .eq. 0) NCOMP = n       end function AllocateCOMPID end module RXN ================================ ! yourProgram.f90       PROGRAM MAIN       use RXN       INTEGER NCOMP,I, iError       OPEN (UNIT=5,  FILE="input.txt")       READ (5,*) I       iError = AllocateCOMPID(I)       if(iError .ne. 0) STOP "Allocation Error"       READ (5,*) (COMPID(I),I=1,NCOMP)       CLOSE(5)       CALL DISPLAY()       END       SUBROUTINE DISPLAY()          use RXN          WRITE(*,*)  (COMPID(I),I=1,NCOMP)       END SUBROUTINE  

Jim Dempsey

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for your input. I tried the code sent by you. I could build the application successfully. But, now I am getting a run-time error, which is not clear to me. It allocated 5 array elements to COMPID (i assume this as there is no error display during the execution) as per the input file. now after the allocation, it should read 5 elements from the next row of input file. But it gives the following error:

forrt1: sever(408): fort(2): subscript #1 of the array COMPID has value 1 which is greater than the upper bound of 0. 

I tried to see COMPID (1) in watch window, and it says "Compid(1) -  Subscript out of range".

This seems that the allocation was not successful. But I didnot get any error displayed on the screen. Could you please help me further, as I am new to this module thing. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

0 Kudos
Vinod
Beginner

! RXN.F90 module RXN       INTEGER :: NCOMP       CHARACTER*30, ALLOCATABLE:: COMPID(:)       contains       integer function AllocateCOMPID(n)            integer :: n            ALLOCATE(COMPID(NCOMP), STAT = AllocateCOMPID            if(AllocateCOMPID .eq. 0) NCOMP = n       end function AllocateCOMPID end module RXN ================================ ! yourProgram.f90       PROGRAM MAIN       use RXN       INTEGER NCOMP,I, iError       OPEN (UNIT=5,  FILE="input.txt")       READ (5,*) I       iError = AllocateCOMPID(I)       if(iError .ne. 0) STOP "Allocation Error"       READ (5,*) (COMPID(I),I=1,NCOMP)       CLOSE(5)       CALL DISPLAY()       END       SUBROUTINE DISPLAY()          use RXN          WRITE(*,*)  (COMPID(I),I=1,NCOMP)       END SUBROUTINE  

Jim Dempsey

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for your time and valuable comment. I tried this code and I could build successfully. But this time I am getting a runtime error. While reading second line from the input file, it says:

forrt1: severe(408): fort: (2): subscript  #1 of the array COMPID has value 1 which is greater than the upper of 0.

I don't understand why the code is giving this error, as I did not get any allocation error. 

Could you please help me out of this?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Vinod 

0 Kudos
Vinod
Beginner

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

You cannot put an allocatable array in COMMON. The typical solution to this would be to make COMPID a module variable in a module that was USEd by all the procedures that needed to reference it.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your input. I am trying this. Hopefully the problem will be resolved soon. 

Regards,
Vinod 

0 Kudos
Vinod
Beginner

Dear Jim & Steve,

The problem has been resolved. Thank you very much for your help.

With best regards,
Vinod 

0 Kudos
Vinod
Beginner

Jim Dempsey

Dear Jim & Steve,

Thank you very much for your inputs. The problem has been resolved. 

Regards,
Vinod 

0 Kudos