Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28595 Discussions

error in installing of imsl 5.0 for intel fortran 9.0 in windows xp

kelaynak
Beginner

Hello,

First of all, I would like to give some information for my system; windows xp sp2, Intel visual fortran 9.0 (9.0.030), imsl 5.0, visual studio.net 2003 professional

While installing imsl 5.0, I made an stupid choice without choosing installing automatic update of environment variables option. And thus, the problems starts. I uninstalled imsl and then reinstall it again. But in this case there is no option for automatic update for environment variables in the setup of imsl 5.0.

I checked the validation of imsl by using comment prompt for the given file imslmp.f90. It is ok. There is no problem.

The problem is in while using studio 2003. When I rerun the above validation file I received the following error in studio: Technical error1 from VERML. The environment variable CTT_DIR is not set.

I have to arrange environment variable of imsl 5.0 manually. But how? Would you please explain it step by step forlow level computer user? I think I should put c:program filesvnictt6.0libia32 in somewherebut,I dont know how to it, andwhere to it?

Also, is thereanything other than the abovesolnthat I should also do it? Any other change?

Thanksyou very much for your help

rgds

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The IMSL validation program is really meant to be built and run from the command prompt. I do not recommend your adding to the system environment variables.

I am puzzled by your reference to a path with "ctt6.0" in it. That was for Intel Fortran 9.1. Which version do you have? If you have version 9.1, then simply open up a "Fortran Build Environment for IA-32 Applications" command window, set default (cd) to the IMSL folder with the validation file, and follow the instructions in the readme you'll find in that folder.

For instructions on how to build IMSL applications in general, see the section of the compiler documentation under Building Applications > Using Libraries > Using IMSL.
0 Kudos
kelaynak
Beginner

Thank your very much for your fast return.

I rechecked my system for Intel visual fortran; It is 9.0. In commands windows of fortran, it is written 9.0.030 built environment for for 32 bit application.

I also checked the vni directory of imsl in c: . There isctt6.0 directory. C:program filesvnictt6.0. It is for imsl 5.0.

Actually, I dont have any problem when usethe command prompt. I used it for validation. And I couldnot see any problem. Everything ok becasue we use cttsetup.bat of imsl which add all necessary environment variable to system (dos system in command prompt).

But I would like to use Visual studio 2003 for programming and compling, running instead of command prompt. If I can not validate system in visual studio, It means I will face with problem in future while using any file from Imsl. Therefore, we should solve this environment variable problem in somehow. I also followed the document you suggested (compler documentation) and I did necessary adjusments in studio.

But the only missing part is related to environment variable for the system. I dont know how to do it manually

Thank you again for your help

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Examine cttsetup.bat to see what environment vaiables it defines and do a SET command to see the values.

To change the system environment variables, right click on My Computer, select Properties, Advanced, Environment Variables.

VERML assumes a lot of the cttsetup environment variables are defined - variables which have no use in normal programs.
0 Kudos
kelaynak
Beginner

I copied the cttsetup.bat and IA32.bat below. According the their contents, I could not understand which paramater I should add to environent variable in my system. Also which operator should I use while adding something (such as path, set or include etc..) Would you please give the necessay full line for adding environment variable?

Thanks in advance

Cttsetup. bat;

@echo off
REM IMSL Fortran Library Environment Variables
REM -- These variables must be defined AFTER those defined
REM -- in the Intel Visual Fortran file, IFORTVARS.BAT
REM -- CTT_DIR is the root directory of the IMSL Fortran Library
REM -- The next line should be modified to reflect a changed location
SET CTT_DIR=C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0
if "%1" == "ia32" GOTO IA32
if "%1" == "itanium" GOTO ITANIUM
if "%1" == "em64t" GOTO EM64T
if "%1" == "IA32" GOTO IA32
if "%1" == "ITANIUM" GOTO ITANIUM
if "%1" == "EM64T" GOTO EM64T
if "%1" == "Ia32" GOTO IA32
if "%1" == "Itanium" GOTO ITANIUM
if "%1" == "Em64t" GOTO EM64T
if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "x86" GOTO IA32
if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "IA64" GOTO ITANIUM
REM Fall-through
:EM64T
call "%CTT_DIR%cttinEM64T.bat"
GOTO END
:IA32
if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432%" == "AMD64" GOTO EM64T
call "%CTT_DIR%cttinIA32.bat"
GOTO END
:ITANIUM
call "%CTT_DIR%cttinITANIUM.bat"
GOTO END
:END

IA32.bat;

@echo Setting environment for IMSL Fortran Library - IA32
@echo off
REM IMSL Fortran 90 MP Library Environment Variables
REM -- These variables must be defined AFTER those defined
REM -- in the Intel Visual Fortran file, IFORTVARS.BAT
REM -- CTT_DIR is the root directory of the IMSL Fortran Library
SET VNI_DIR=%CTT_DIR%..
SET LIB_ARCH=IA32
SET F90=ifort
SET FC=ifort
SET KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK=TRUE
SET CTT_EXAMPLES="%CTT_DIR%examples%LIB_ARCH%"
SET CTT_FORTRAN_COMPILER=Intel Fortran Compiler for 32-bit applications, Version 9.0
SET CTT_OS_VERSION=Microsoft Windows XP/2000/2003
SET INCLUDE=%CTT_DIR%INCLUDE%LIB_ARCH%;%INCLUDE%
SET INCLUDE_DIR="%CTT_DIR%include%LIB_ARCH%"
SET FFLAGS=/w /I:%INCLUDE_DIR% /fpe:3 /nologo
SET F90FLAGS=/w /I:%INCLUDE_DIR% /fpe:3 /nologo
SET LIB=%CTT_DIR%LIB%LIB_ARCH%;%LIB%

if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" SET PATH=%CTT_DIR%LIB%LIB_ARCH%;%PATH%
if "%OS%" == "" SET PATH="%CTT_DIR%LIB%LIB_ARCH%";"%PATH%"
SET VNI_F90_MSG=%CTT_DIR%BIN%LIB_ARCH%

SET LINK_F90_STATIC=imsl.lib imslscalar.lib imslblas.lib imsls_err.lib
SET LINK_F90_STATIC_SMP=/Qopenmp /F6000000 /fpp imsl.lib imslsmp.lib mkl_c_dll.lib imsls_err.lib /link /nodefaultlib:libc.lib

SET LINK_F90_DLL=imsl_dll.lib imslscalar_dll.lib imslblas_dll.lib
SET LINK_F90_DLL_SMP=/Qopenmp /F6000000 /fpp imsl_dll.lib imslsmp_dll.lib mkl_c_dll.lib /link /nodefaultlib:libc.lib

SET LINK_F90=%LINK_F90_DLL%
SET LINK_F90_SMP=%LINK_F90_DLL_SMP%

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is no "full line" you can use - you have to do it through the Environment Variables dialog as I described earlier.

I would say that the variables you need to create are VNI_DIR, LIB_ARCH, CTT_DIR, CTT_FORTRAN_COMPILER and CTT_OS_VERSION. The others you can probably ignore.
0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner

I have imsl 5 and ivf 9.1 installed in vs 2005. Here arethe entriesfor the system environmental variables:

CTT_DIR=C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0
CTT_EXAMPLES="C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0examplesIA32"
CTT_FORTRAN_COMPILER=Intel Fortran Compiler for 32-bit applications, Version 9.1
CTT_OS_VERSION=Microsoft Windows XP/2000/2003
F90FLAGS=/w /I:"C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0includeIA32" /fpe:3 /nologo
FC=ifort
FFLAGS=/w /I:"C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0includeIA32" /fpe:3 /nologo
LIB_ARCH=IA32
LINK_F90=imsl_dll.lib imslscalar_dll.lib imslblas_dll.lib
LINK_F90_DLL=imsl_dll.lib imslscalar_dll.lib imslblas_dll.lib
LINK_F90_DLL_SMP=/Qopenmp /F6000000 /fpp imsl_dll.lib imslsmp_dll.lib mkl_c_dll.lib /link /nodefaultlib:libc.lib
LINK_F90_SMP=/Qopenmp /F6000000 /fpp imsl_dll.lib imslsmp_dll.lib mkl_c_dll.lib /link /nodefaultlib:libc.lib
LINK_F90_STATIC=imsl.lib imslscalar.lib imslblas.lib imsls_err.lib
LINK_F90_STATIC_SMP=/Qopenmp /F6000000 /fpp imsl.lib imslsmp.lib mkl_c_dll.lib imsls_err.lib /link /nodefaultlib:libc.lib
VNI_DIR=C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0..
VNI_F90_MSG=C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0BINIA32

These were ALL created by the imsl install.

In VS 2005 under Tools/Options/Intel Fortran (Compiler 9.1)/General I created the following entries:

C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0libIA32

C:Program FilesVNICTT6.0includeIA32

under Libraries and Includes, respectively. I've attached a zip of a VS 2005 that validates the installation.

HTH,

Gerry

0 Kudos
kelaynak
Beginner

Gerry,

Thank you very much for your help.

After making necessary adjustment in environment variable in the system, everything is ok now.

I put the following into the system environment;

VNI_DIR, LIB_ARCH, CTT_DIR,CTT_FORTRAN_COMPILER, CTT_OS_VERSION,

INCLUDE c:program FilesVNICTT6.0IncludeIA32

LIB c:program FilesVNICTT6.0LibIA32

Path c:program FilesVNICTT6.0LibIA32

VNI_F90_MSG c:program FilesVNICTT6.0BinIA32

And everything is ok now.
But I have one more solution way.May be this way can be much more easy way for people;

When we re-install imsl after the first installment, imsl setup can not ask to us whether we want to adjust environment variable or not. There is not this option anymore. I think system keeping our first choice in somewhere. I tried to find it but I could not. I think It should be somewhere in systme registry.

If we can erase our first option from the system, we can easily adjust system environment by using un-install imsl and then reinstall it again. Thus, no need to adjust those variable manually.

Do you know how we can erase our first choice (no need to adjustment of environment variable option) from the system registry?

rgds
0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner

Glad to hear it's OK.

VNI doesn't appear to use the registry. Any entry therein is courtesy of Intel. Not all uninstalls clean up the registry before they leave. Just try uninstalling anything from Abode, Apple, Symantec (Norton), etc. and examine the debris they leave behind,

I have no idea what the numeroussystem variablesfor IMSL do. Leaving them there does no harm. The PATH (BIN), INCLUDE, AND LIB references to VNI don't matter if you're using the VS: Tools/Options/Fortran entries arewhat matters and not the environment variables.

In VC++ Project/Properties/C/C++/Advanced there's a Use Full Path switch which displays the precise whereabouts of headers and libs that the compiler and linker haul in in building your project and these are written to the IDE's output pane for perusal. I can't find a similar switch for IVF.

Gerry

0 Kudos