Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

error loading plugin: libimf.so

Braun__Jay
Beginner

I have an application that I last built and executed using Intel Fortran 16 on CentOs 6 a few years ago.  I am now trying to build with Intel Fortran 20, update 1, on CentOS 7.

When linking an object file with an ar library, both of which I rebuilt with ifort 20, I get the following message:

ld: /path_to/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.217/linux/bin/intel64/../../lib/LLVMgold.so: error loading plugin: libimf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Neither .so file is familiar to me.  Could someone help me get started debugging this issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Braun__Jay
Beginner

Here is some more information.  I have one instance of LLVMgold.so

./intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.217/linux/lib/LLVMgold.so

There are several instances of libimf.so

./intel/itac/2020.1.024/intel64/bin/rtlib/libimf.so
./intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.217/linux/compiler/lib/ia32_lin/libimf.so
./intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.217/linux/compiler/lib/intel64_lin/libimf.so
./intel/intelpython3/pkgs/icc_rt-2020.1-intel_217/lib/libimf.so
./intel/intelpython3/lib/libimf.so

I investigated whether this had anything to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  It was not set when I first tried the link.  I then tried setting it.

> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
~/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.217/linux/compiler/lib/intel64_lin/libimf.so

Same result:

ld: /path_to/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.217/linux/bin/intel64/../../lib/LLVMgold.so: error loading plugin: libimf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

I'm a bit confused about the prefix for all those paths - you have "/path_to", the current directory and perhaps the shell metachar for the current users home directory. 

Linux is not my forte, and I don't have an ifort compiler installation on linux to check, so the value of the following is all a bit questionable, but LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be a list of directories, not a filename, and that list of directories should not have a literal "~" in it (that character should have been expanded when the environment variable was defined). 

Are you linking in a shell that has been set up with ifortvars.sh?

0 Kudos
Braun__Jay
Beginner

Thank you for your assistance.

/path_to is just a way to refer to my home directory; I was once told that it is not a good idea (for security reasons) to include that in posts.

I did try to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the path itself; sorry that my post contained an earlier incorrect usage.  Using the path did not eliminate the error, however.

Online, I did see a comment about setting up with ifortvars.sh but did not know what needs to be done.  I never did that when I was using ifort versions 14 through 18 in past years.  Is it simply a matter of executing the shell script?  Should that be done from my .bashrc?  Are there environment variables that I can check to ensure that the set-up was successful?  

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It's always been required to "source" ifortvars.sh. Typically this is done as:

source /opt/intel/bin ifortvars.sh

If you didn't do this, where did the compiler find its path to run?

0 Kudos
Braun__Jay
Beginner

Thank you, Steve.  I don't recall ever doing this, but I could be mistaken.

Very good to say hello again.

0 Kudos
Braun__Jay
Beginner

. . . and running ifortvars.sh with the correct arguments does the trick.  Thanks!

0 Kudos