Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

fail to source ifortvars.sh

liurongimech
Beginner

I have installed intel fortran complier 11 (l_cprof_p_11.0.074_ia32) in fedora 9,
when i source the ifortvars.sh file, an error occurs:

[root@localhost ~]# source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/074/bin/ifortvars.sh
ERROR: Unknown switch ''. Accepted values: ia32, intel64, ia64

[root@localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Thu May 1 06:28:41 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

can you help me to source this file?
Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - liurongimech

I have installed intel fortran complier 11 (l_cprof_p_11.0.074_ia32) in fedora 9,
when i source the ifortvars.sh file, an error occurs:

[root@localhost ~]# source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/074/bin/ifortvars.sh
ERROR: Unknown switch ''. Accepted values: ia32, intel64, ia64

[root@localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Thu May 1 06:28:41 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

can you help me to source this file?
Thanks!

So follow the advice. If you have only the ia32 option installed, your only choice would be to append ia32 to your command.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is a change in version 11 and is discussed in the Release Notes. (You really should get in the habit of reading the Release Notes each and every time you install a new version. It can help you a lot.)

0 Kudos
Darrell
Beginner

Please consider improving the error message as shown below to include where the message is coming from and what to do about it. I got the message twice: once from Intel C++ 11 & once from Intel Fortran 11 after upgrading because they are both called from /etc/profile--I had no idea wherethe vague error messageswere coming from until I googled it and found this post. The Release Notesshould alsomention the error message you get if you don't follow the instructions.

Before the error message currently looks like this:
ifortvars.sh
ERROR: Unknown switch ''. Accepted values: ia32, intel64

After I would rewrite it to clarify where the message is coming from and what needs to be done:
ifortvars.sh: Error unknown command line option, ''
usage: ifortvars.sh [ia32|intel64]
The 32-bit or 64-bit flag above must be specified on the command line.

p.s. Iconcur with your advice.Don't missreading the "Known Problems" section of the Release Notes while downloading the update. To be fair going from 10 to 11 was a major update while the minor updates usually install without any major changes to install dirs etc.

0 Kudos
roddur
Beginner
just use this:
source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/074/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32

goodluck
0 Kudos
bgeneto
Beginner
Quoting - roddur
just use this:
source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/074/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32

goodluck

The line above works inside my ~/.profile but not with /etc/profile, any ideas? Seems that the parameter is not recognized (like it missing). I have tried to put an executable file inside /etc/profiles.d/ with the command:

. /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/074/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32

but the parameter is not working also. Why intel had to change things soo much from v10 to v11???

0 Kudos
Ron_Green
Quoting - bgeneto

The line above works inside my ~/.profile but not with /etc/profile, any ideas? Seems that the parameter is not recognized (like it missing). I have tried to put an executable file inside /etc/profiles.d/ with the command:

. /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/074/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32

but the parameter is not working also. Why intel had to change things soo much from v10 to v11???

I have seen issues with various linux distros over the years with the dot "." syntax for sourcing a file. Thus, I highly recommend using "source" instead of the dot syntax.

For example, the old bourne again shell, sh, will not recognize that dot syntax.

ron
0 Kudos