Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

idb removed in parallel studio 2015

Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner

What is the main reason to remove idb from parallel studio 2015? idb was extremelly important and useful tool with good interactive graphic capabilities.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alexis_R_
New Contributor I

Michal,

I have not had time to test it fully yet, but Eclipse & Photran provide a GUI to GDB, which works happily with the gdb-ia version shipped with xe1025.

As far as I remember (I only did this once so far a few days ago), in Eclipse, you have to tweak the following:

Debug Configuration > Debugger > (check) Stop on startup at: main__

Debug Configuration > Debugger > GDB debugger: /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/gdb-ia (or whereever you installed the compiler)

IIRC, with this setup, inspecting values worked fine, even allocatable components of derived types etc. But as I said I didn't spend long enough with it to be sure.

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Intel began designating idb as deprecated a couple of years ago, with a return to supporting enhancements in gdb for Fortran and Windows.  This seems to have removed debugger installation and jre version mis-match as a typical hangup for supporting linux, and may be an improvement in supporting builds including gcc.

A recent update of Intel's announcement on this subject:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/debugging-intel-xeon-phi-applications-on-linux-host#Why%20use%20GNU*%20GDB%20provided%20by%20Intel?

Maybe gdb fit better with the trend toward eclipse support and need to support MIC debugging on Windows (my guess).  Don't see a single primary reason from here.

0 Kudos
Jack_S_
Beginner

Michal & Tim :

Thanks for your notes.

This is important. I'm also using extensively with IDB. Since I'm planning to update soon to the Professional XE 2015 (Linux) - can somebody elaborate on what are the alternatives to IDB ? (GDB / Eclipse ? How to install those ?)
Thanks in advance,

Jack. 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The Intel fork gdb (gdb-ia) installs automatically with the current compilers.  I don't see fully documented which versions of it include eclipse.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/517869 indicates that Intel has resumed supporting C++ eclipse installation but apparently you are still on your own for eclipse with Fortran.

0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner

Tim,

thanks a lot for your answer, but I still feel a bit uncomfortable without IDB. IDB provides to me very good option for interactive and graphic debugging of fortran codes. GDB is only command line tool!!?? But, the main reason why I am so disappointed is the fact, that Eclipse does not support fortran officially. So ... this is another step how the Intel makes the life of Fortran programmers more and more difficult.

0 Kudos
Alexis_R_
New Contributor I

Michal,

I have not had time to test it fully yet, but Eclipse & Photran provide a GUI to GDB, which works happily with the gdb-ia version shipped with xe1025.

As far as I remember (I only did this once so far a few days ago), in Eclipse, you have to tweak the following:

Debug Configuration > Debugger > GDB debugger: /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/gdb-ia (or whereever you installed the compiler)

IIRC, with this setup, inspecting values worked fine, even allocatable components of derived types etc. But as I said I didn't spend long enough with it to be sure.

HTH

0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner

Alexis R. wrote:

Michal,

HTH

Thanks!!!

What version of Eclipse you are using?

0 Kudos
Alexis_R_
New Contributor I

This was with Kepler, which is not quite the latest version of Eclipse.

0 Kudos
Jack_S_
Beginner

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for your note.

Just making sure here - your suggested plugin configuration is to see the GDB-IA intel GUI via Eclipse ? 

While the following link describe only adding Intel composer XE to the Eclipse interface in terms of compiling Fortran source files ?

https://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/stdxe/2013/composerxe/debugger/user_guide/GUID-B74312A7-4771-40FA-B35B-B8B2A49083E4.htm

Thanks,

Jack.

0 Kudos
Alexis_R_
New Contributor I

Jack -

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The page you linked to describes instructions for XE2013. I'm not sure whether these instructions are still valid & I don't remember following them.

IIRC XE2015 comes with a PDF in the documentation folder which describes how to use the gdb-ia with Eclipse and that must be how I figured it out.

Sorry this is a vague answer - I've not really spent much time on this.

0 Kudos
Jack_S_
Beginner

Alexis - 

Thanks. 

I have tried to link this way the composer XE2013 to my new Eclipse-Luna (the latest Eclipse version) and it worked. It compiles Fortran source code. This is why I was curios why they might changed it in the new parallel studio XE2015.

Hope the XE2015 documentation will cover it all.

Cheers,

Jack.

0 Kudos