Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

ifort installed but command not found

costa__alisson
Beginner

Hi there

I'm needing the intell compiler for fortran, ifort, to run a program on linux (ubuntu 16.04), the program only runs with this compiler, as there are some modules that do not perform well with gfortran.

Then I installed the program downloaded by this link (https://software.intel.com/en-us/parallel-studio-xe/choose-download) following the steps described in this installation tutorial, https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1082782.

I followed it to step 11 and tried to run the program and the message appeared:

ifort: Command not found.

In executing steps 12 and 13 of the tutorial I did not find the 'Compiler' directory and the subsequent ones. Is that why the ifort was not found ?

does anyone know how I can solve the ifort installation problem by following the steps in the link ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

Did you do a custom install? e.g. specified a special installation directory? Did you source the compilervars?

costa__alisson
Beginner

no, I did not do a custom installation, I performed a default installation. What means do source the compilervars ?

I'm new in ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for you help

mecej4
Black Belt

Did you install the current version of the Intel Fortran compiler, or did you actually install the 8-9 year old 11.0 compiler? For each release of the compiler, Intel provides release notes that provide complete information on prerequisites, installation and utilization.

The purpose of sourcing the start-up script compilervars.sh is to make the modified environment apply to the current shell. You should become familiar with the underlying concepts if you plan to do development in Linux.

costa__alisson
Beginner

I installed the current version of the Intel Fortran compiler

ali__qais
Beginner

I downloaded parallel studio xe 2019 and installed intel fortran only among 14 options of other compilers, Intel Fortran compiler for Intel (R) and IA-32 component are installed successfully but when I run my program that required Intel Fortran as a compiler then I get an error.