Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

installing MKL C++ components seems to break VS 2015 integration

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi,

I installed PSXE 2017 update 2 today and in the customized installation section I added the C++ components of MKL (IA32, x64) for different reasons (Composer Edition for Fortran Windows --> no Intel C++ compilers). I experienced, that these MKL C++ components seems to break the Fortran integration for VS2015 (blank screen in editor, cannot compile).

After removing these MKL C++ components the VS 2015 Fortran integration works fine again. Maybe it's related to the issue I reported here https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/635254 Maybe it's just something seen on my computer...

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015
Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.01055

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 2 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2015, Version 17.0.0041.14, Copyright © 2002-2017 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This error is caused by a corrupted Visual Studio cache.

Close all Visual Studio tasks that are running, and delete all files in the folders ComponentModelCache and MEFCacheBackup

these folders are located in:

\Users\YOUR_USER_PATH\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

Works for me!

Microsoft has acknowledged this as a VS bug to be fixed in an update.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I can confirm this in part. When I install Update 2, I can still compile and build, but can't edit - opening a Fortran source shows a blank screen. However, I don't have MKL installed at all (I deselected it on initial install and I confirmed it is not there.)

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you both for reporting this issue. I escalated this to the integration developers.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200418211)

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Our Developers requested some additional details to from each to help with reproducing this:

1. OS Version?
  2. Which VSs are installed?   (VS 2015 only or any other as well?)
  3. Which other Intel compiler-related products were on the system, and to which VS were they integrated before installing PSXE 2017 Update 2 Composer Edition for Fortran for Windows?
  4. Was this a default PS XE 2017 Update 2 installation + MKL C++ component, or some other custom configuration?  (From my read of each of your details I think this is a “yes” for Johannes and an a “no” for Steve, where Steve you may have deselected MKL from the default installation.)
  5. Was integration to all VS selected during installation, or only to VS 2015?
0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Windows 10 x64
VS2015 only
PSXE 2017 RTM and Update 1
I did not change the defaults for this install - it saw I had deselected MKL from an earlier install
This is not a question that gets asked in a normal install - only if you customize.

I am going to uninstall all PSXE and reinstall and see what happens. 

I'll also send Kevin the install logs.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Uninstall all and reinstall from scratch did not help. Same symptom.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Reproduced it on a second computer. This one also had PSXE 2016 installed. I uninstalled everything and then installed 2017U2 with MKL and Parallel Debug extension deselected. Can't edit Fortran sources. Interestingly, when I went to open a different Fortran project, VS2015 crashed.

On second computer, I did a Modify and added back in MKL and the MIC debugger extension. Now I could edit. Removed debugger extension, still could edit. Removed MKL, still could edit! 

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

On my side I have

• Win 7 Enterprise x64,
  • VS 2010 SP1
  • VS 2015 U3
  • PSXE 2016 U3 with MKL
  • PSXE 2017, U1, U2 (all with default, besides U2)
  • VS Integration was installed with every new version, since PSXE 2017 only for VS 2015 (Professional)

As Steve said, a 'Modify' and removing MKL C++ did the trick for me too to get things running again. It might be, that I could have been able to build, although the screen was blank.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This error is caused by a corrupted Visual Studio cache.

Close all Visual Studio tasks that are running, and delete all files in the folders ComponentModelCache and MEFCacheBackup

these folders are located in:

\Users\YOUR_USER_PATH\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

Works for me!

Microsoft has acknowledged this as a VS bug to be fixed in an update.

0 Kudos