Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26752 Discussions

installing MKL C++ components seems to break VS 2015 integration

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi,

I installed PSXE 2017 update 2 today and in the customized installation section I added the C++ components of MKL (IA32, x64) for different reasons (Composer Edition for Fortran Windows --> no Intel C++ compilers). I experienced, that these MKL C++ components seems to break the Fortran integration for VS2015 (blank screen in editor, cannot compile).

After removing these MKL C++ components the VS 2015 Fortran integration works fine again. Maybe it's related to the issue I reported here https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/635254 Maybe it's just something seen on my computer...

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015
Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.01055

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 2 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2015, Version 17.0.0041.14, Copyright © 2002-2017 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

This error is caused by a corrupted Visual Studio cache.

Close all Visual Studio tasks that are running, and delete all files in the folders ComponentModelCache and MEFCacheBackup

these folders are located in:

\Users\YOUR_USER_PATH\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

Works for me!

Microsoft has acknowledged this as a VS bug to be fixed in an update.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Steve_Lionel

I can confirm this in part. When I install Update 2, I can still compile and build, but can't edit - opening a Fortran source shows a blank screen. However, I don't have MKL installed at all (I deselected it on initial install and I confirmed it is not there.)

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you both for reporting this issue. I escalated this to the integration developers.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200418211)

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Our Developers requested some additional details to from each to help with reproducing this:

1. OS Version?
  2. Which VSs are installed?   (VS 2015 only or any other as well?)
  3. Which other Intel compiler-related products were on the system, and to which VS were they integrated before installing PSXE 2017 Update 2 Composer Edition for Fortran for Windows?
  4. Was this a default PS XE 2017 Update 2 installation + MKL C++ component, or some other custom configuration?  (From my read of each of your details I think this is a “yes” for Johannes and an a “no” for Steve, where Steve you may have deselected MKL from the default installation.)
  5. Was integration to all VS selected during installation, or only to VS 2015?
Steve_Lionel

Windows 10 x64
VS2015 only
PSXE 2017 RTM and Update 1
I did not change the defaults for this install - it saw I had deselected MKL from an earlier install
This is not a question that gets asked in a normal install - only if you customize.

I am going to uninstall all PSXE and reinstall and see what happens. 

I'll also send Kevin the install logs.

Steve_Lionel

Uninstall all and reinstall from scratch did not help. Same symptom.

Steve_Lionel

Reproduced it on a second computer. This one also had PSXE 2016 installed. I uninstalled everything and then installed 2017U2 with MKL and Parallel Debug extension deselected. Can't edit Fortran sources. Interestingly, when I went to open a different Fortran project, VS2015 crashed.

On second computer, I did a Modify and added back in MKL and the MIC debugger extension. Now I could edit. Removed debugger extension, still could edit. Removed MKL, still could edit! 

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

On my side I have

• Win 7 Enterprise x64,
  • VS 2010 SP1
  • VS 2015 U3
  • PSXE 2016 U3 with MKL
  • PSXE 2017, U1, U2 (all with default, besides U2)
  • VS Integration was installed with every new version, since PSXE 2017 only for VS 2015 (Professional)

As Steve said, a 'Modify' and removing MKL C++ did the trick for me too to get things running again. It might be, that I could have been able to build, although the screen was blank.

Steve_Lionel

This error is caused by a corrupted Visual Studio cache.

Close all Visual Studio tasks that are running, and delete all files in the folders ComponentModelCache and MEFCacheBackup

these folders are located in:

\Users\YOUR_USER_PATH\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

Works for me!

Microsoft has acknowledged this as a VS bug to be fixed in an update.

View solution in original post