Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

intel fortran compiler - openapi & the DevCloud

ReemHarel
Beginner

Hello,

I want to run Quantum Espresso - the GPU version on the DevCloud. However, because the GPU version is written in Fortran-CUDA only PGI can compile the code - It might be a dumb question but -  can intel's new GPU support PGI/CUDA? my guess is no... In addition, Quantum Espresso comes with an OpenMP version, and I think it might be modified easily to work with the directives to offload it - teams, distribute etc. - i'm wondering if there's someone working on it already  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

You might be lucky, but I would be surprised as this is a pretty specialized physics package and it is huge.  I tried the makefile with IFORT oneAPI and it came up with circular references. 

I suggest LINUX and NVIDA and PGA.  Unless you want a lot of messing around, it is 5800 files and some weirdness in the file arrangements. 

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Intel Fortran does not have CUDA support. The idea is that the oneAPI API will support GPUs from multiple vendors, but that hasn't happened yet, as far as I know.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I was reading about a academic in South Australia, he wanted a supercomputer, but his application failed, so he went around and scavenged a great number of old computers, linked them together with some code and created a behemoth.  In LINUX of course. 

Money can buy a lot

A really intelligent person with limited money can sometimes do as well.

Finally - it will be simpler when Intel buys NVIDIA

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

@JohnNichols wrote:

Finally - it will be simpler when Intel buys NVIDIA

That isn't ever going to happen. The US government would not allow it due to antitrust concerns.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

The DOJ and the Herfindahl Index strikes again 

0 Kudos