Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

minor Eclipse integration issues

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Using CentOS 6.7, and Eclipse Mars 2.0 (w/ parallel tools PTP), Parallel Studio XE 2016 Cluster edition update 3 (using intel64)

It would be nice if the user manual, getting started, would illustrate how to (and annotate why) create a Hello World application.

In particular, why you would choose "Other" instead of Fortran, and additionally, why you do not choose Empty Project. That consumed about 4 hours of time poking around the internet looking for solutions, where 2 minutes in a getting started would have resolved the issue.

Next, while the integration to Eclipse permitted me to create an Intel Fortran project (using Other and non-empty project), it did not permit me to build the project: "ifort" not found as a command. The ifort (symbolic link to executable) should have been created by the integration (and choice of build platform). While this may have been corrected by sourcing /opt/intel/...psxevars.sh intel64 ... prior to launching Eclipse, this should have been performed by the IDE as part of the New Project (as I may want a main project with sub projects building multiple versions of the compiler). Again, something in the "Getting Started" would be helpful. The solution I found, which is likely the wrong solution, is to manually create a symbolic link /usr/bin/ifort pointing to the compiler (then remember to change this when I update versions).

Barring including this information in the "Getting Started (with Eclipse)", including a link to such a document would be instructive.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the feedback Jim. I will look into this. I'm not familiar with the Eclipse integration with PTP or Photran. As a part of investigating this I will roll-up the suggestions to the appropriate documentation/installation/etc. teams. I post again after learning more.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Jim, where in the Intel documentation are you seeing anything about Eclipse for Fortran? I am not aware that we mention this at all. Perhaps your question is better aimed at the Eclipse/Photran project? 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Thank you Kevin.

I realize that Eclipse isn't a part of Intel Parallel Studio, neither is MS Visual Studio on Windows for that matter. This said, both IDE's are widely used, and Intel has done well with its integration efforts. I think though just a little bit more of an effort, such as working through the quirks in getting a Hello World to work would be welcomed by your user community.

>>Perhaps your question is better aimed at the Eclipse/Photran project?

That it the crux of the problem... (finger pointing). One of the characteristics of a truly great (software) products, is ease of use, from the new user perspective. While I consider the Parallel Studio products technically great, I am pointing out that the ease if use aspect needs some work.

On earlier versions, integration was difficult or not possible by the uninformed. This resulted in having to fall back to command line programming with multiple GEDIT (or other editor) windows, make files, and funky ways of getting break points set in the debugger. An IDE streamlines all of this and makes the programming more productive.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

My point, Jim, is that Intel hasn't been involved in the Fortran for Eclipse work. (Maybe we should have, but that's another topic.) So complaining to us about documentation we didn't provide seems inappropriate.

I'll comment that a lot of customers tell me that Code::Blocks is a better IDE for Fortran than Eclipse.

0 Kudos