Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

missed break points

a_j_payne
Beginner

hi

i have posted on this before and i have sen several other post on the issue. however i havent seen any posts on fixes that work consistently.

symptom is that break points are missed in debug mode. when you recompile the code, the linker then complains: "Error1 fatal error LNK2023: bad DLL or entry point 'msobj80.dll'LINK".

this later error has been the subject of several posts and the only suggested fix i have found is to restart your pc. this works but i am not having to do this everytime i use IVF!

any suggestions? i am using v 10.0.021 and have installed the latest MVS patch (did not make a difference).

thanks

tony

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The MSOBJ80.DLL problem is usually fixed by installing Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2005. After you do so, search your system for that DLL - you should find it in the Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDE folder (and perhaps Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8VCinamd64) and nowhere else. The file version of that DLL should be 8.0.50727.762.

As for the missed breakpoints, please update the compiler. 10.1.021 is current.
0 Kudos
a_j_payne
Beginner

steve

thanks for your speedy reply. i have searched for the DLL and have it in the following

C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8VCin (have checked and definitely not in Common7IDE)

C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedVSA8.0VsaEnv

do you recommend moving the first (VC/bin) and deleteing the second (VSA)?

missed breakpoints: typo error - i DO have 10.1.021 installed already.

i think these two problems are linked in that the DLL problem always crops up after the breakpoint one (and never by itself).

thanks

tony

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The DLL should be moved from VCBin to Common7IDE. The one in VsaEnv is ok. Make sure the version is correct.

This DLL is used to read the debug information from an executable, so it is not surprising that a problem with the DLL interferes with debugging.
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
MADsblionel:
The MSOBJ80.DLL problem is usually fixed by installing Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2005. After you do so, search your system for that DLL - you should find it in the Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDE folder (and perhaps Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8VCinamd64) and nowhere else. The file version of that DLL should be 8.0.50727.762.

I have just recently enountered this MSOBJ80.DLL problem - twice in the last week or so. Had to re-boot both times. (had not used the compiler much in the preceding 4 mths, so the problem may not be so new).

My system is: IVF 10.1.019 + VSPPE / Vista x64 / QX9650 (yes, I know, not the latest but have been otherwise occupied recently)

Does the above above advice (install SP1 for VS2005) apply for VSPPE ?

If so, any changes required to IVF after VS SP1 has been applied?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, you can install VS05 SP1 on top of VSPPE and should do so. IVF won't be hurt by this.
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Hmm - now I am not certain whether I may have already installed the update (been out of it for a few months).

According to Help About, the status of my VS is as below:

Is 'VSPPE - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)' the same as VS2005 SP1 ?

Thanks

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.867 (vsvista.050727-8600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727 SP1

Installed Edition: IDE Standard

Intel Fortran Compiler Integration
Intel Fortran Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, 10.1.4156.2005, Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Intel Corporation

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition - ENU (KB932232)
This Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Update will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932232
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, you have SP1.
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Thanks, Steve
0 Kudos
a_j_payne
Beginner

steve

problems with missed breakpoints and DLL now look sorted. MVS has started crashing 3-4 times a day though ...

thanks for your help

tony

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I haven't seen that problem myself. I can give you my standard advice, no idea if it will help.

1. Uninstall the "Intel Fortran Integrations into Microsoft Visual Studio"
2. In Add or Remove Programs, select Visual Studio 2005, Change, Visual Studio, Reinstall/Repair
3. Reinstall the integrations (C:Program FilesIntelDownloadIntelFortranCompiler10installsw_ide_p_10.1.xxx.exe
0 Kudos