Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

missing libstdc++.so.5 libraries: ifort 10.1 for centos 5.6

evgeny_shapirogmail_
I have to install an older version of ifort -- 10.1 -- for one of the users (not as a root) . To do that, I first installed the compat-libstdc++-33 package, which should provide the older libstdc++.so.5 libraries.

Still, the installation complains during the install. It says, when installing compiler (user direcory /home/trycompilers):

/home/trycompilers/intel/fce/10.1.026/bin/fortcom: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ifort: error #10257: Fatal error in /home/trycompilers/intel/fce/10.1.026/bin/fortcom, terminated by 0x7f
----------------------------------------------------
Problems with Fortran compiler: !=< Hello, World! F90>
----------------------------------------------------

After the installation completes (which it does with a "typical" install), trying to compile a test fortran file with ifort leads to the same error:

/home/trycompilers/intel/fce/10.1.026/bin/fortcom: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ifort: error #10257: Fatal error in /home/trycompilers/intel/fce/10.1.026/bin/fortcom, terminated by 0x7f

An advise would be highly appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Is your OS 32-bit or 64 bit? The compiler that you are trying to install - 32 or 64 bit?

In the same command line environment in which the attempt to compile a sample Fortran program failed, try to compile and run a similar small C/C++ program, and share the results here.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You require the 64-bit OS (x86_64) in order to install the 64-bit compiler. Both the 32-bit (i686) and 64-bit (x86_64) libstdc++-33 installations are required.
0 Kudos
evgeny_shapirogmail_
TimP: Thanks! I have a 64-bit system, and before installed only the 64-bit libstdc++-33 : this is the only one that yumex offers. After installing the i386 library the compiler works .
0 Kudos