Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

mpiifort not found in Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Linux

Jason_H_1
Beginner

Hi,

I purchased the Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Linux and successfully installed it. However, I do not see mpiifort in the /bin directory. From some previous discussions, it seems I need to source the following:

source ......./bin/compilervars.sh intel64

source ...../bin64/mpivars.sh

But my question is I don't find anything related to mpiifort in those scripts. So does that mean this package doesn't include MPI support or there are errors in the installation. I'd like to confirm the MPI is included before reinstall the whole thing. 

Thanks for the help.

Jason

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

There is no MPI support in the Composer Edition. That is provided by the Intel MPI library, part of the Cluster Edition. You can, of course, use other MPI libraries that have their own tools and scripts.

0 Kudos
Izaak_Beekman
New Contributor II

The sales rep indicated to me that there was MPI in the composer edition, and we bought composer edition because of this. Does this mean that to use Intel MPI on windows you *must* have the cluster edition?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The Composer edition does not include Intel MPI for development. It does have the Intel MPI run-time which is used for coarray support. 

To use Intel MPI in development you need either the Cluster Edition of Parallel Studio XE or buy Intel MPI separately. There are other MPI implementations available (MPICH and OpenMPI for example) you can use without needing Intel MPI. On Windows (this is the Linux/Mac forum) there is also Microsoft MPI. These may or may not have an "mpifort" command.

0 Kudos
Izaak_Beekman
New Contributor II

Steve, thanks for your reply! I hope you're enjoying retirement!

Yes I am well aware of MPICH and OpenMPI, MVAPICH etc. but I'm new to developing on windows. On windows, without Cygwin etc. it looks like Intel MPI and MSMPI are the only viable options.

BTW, I downloaded and installed Intel MPI separately (a trial version I guess?) but it did not install the MPI compiler wrappers as far as I can tell, unless they are named something else on Windows. Hard to tell from the documentation.

BTW, on windows does the Fortran compiler come with a C compiler? Or do you need to get the C++ and Fortran option to get access to the Intel C compiler on Windows?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

MPICH works on Windows too - I have used it in the past.

Intel offers editions of Parallel Studio XE with just Fortran, just C++ or both.

• Professional and Cluster Editions have both
  • Composer Edition for Fortran has just Fortran
  • Composer Edition for C++ has just C++
  • Composer Edition (no qualification) has both
0 Kudos