Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28602 Discussions

mt.exe not found with visual studio 8 shell

Martien_J
Beginner

I installed about two months ago visual fortran composer XE 2011 (build: w_fcompxe_2011.3.175
). At the time of installation I did not notice that there was a Visual Studio version included so I downloaded and installed visual Studio 2010 and got it up and running. The VS2010 was a trial version which expired recently so I went back to check and finally understood that the version of the Fortran composer I bought should come with VS2008 Shell. I deinstalled VS2010 and tried to reinstall the Fortran compiler. It onlyadviced me that VS is required and apperently this was not included in the installation file.

Therefor, I installed VS2008 Shell myself(by downloading it from the Microsoft side) and reinstalled Fortran which actually nicely integrated with the VS2008 shell. However, when I now try to compile and link any of my projects, I get the error "mt.exe not found". I searched my entire file directories and could indeed not find this file on my system. Following some other suggestions I installed VS2008 SDK but also this did not add an mt.exe file to my system (so the problem remained).

Any suggestion on how to get the linking process going ? Is there an option available which avoids that I need mt.exe at all (reading through some info I have a doubt that I actually need it for my projects) ?

Thanks in advance,
Martien

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I suggest that you uninstall the VS2008 Shell and SDK that you got from Microsoft, and uninstall Intel Fortran. Return to the Intel Registration Center and download Update 5, the "full" product that includes VS2008 Shell. This will usually be the first download listed and will have a name that simply ends in .exe rather than _ias32.exe, _intel64.exe or _novsshell.exe. Then try again.
0 Kudos
Martien_J
Beginner
Dear Steve,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded the update 5, installed it and it now correctly installed Visual Studio 2008 Shell. I am not sure why my first installation two months ago did not do this, but OK, no problem.

I then run in a new problem with running my projects as they did not compile properly, but the missing mt.exe problem was gone. It did come up with a missing LIBC error, but I got this going by manipulating some settings. A few steps later however, I was not able to compile or link anything any more.

To solve this new problem, I uninstalled again Fortran + VS2008 shell and reinstalled everything to make sure that the problem has no relation to my projects or me playing with some settings. After thisfresh install, I created a new Fortran project with a single source file with a few lines surely full with syntax errors. I then build the project, and the only thing which I saw in the output window is:

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
No errors about the code show up and also nothing is build. When I try to run I get the message that the executable is missing.Ths is exactly the problem I had with my projects. I guess there must be an error in some settingswhich makes VS to not compile anything and neither link anything. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Martien

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The LIBC error is because you had objects or libraries compiled with a very old version, pre-VS2005.

Here's my guess as to how to fix your latest probllem. In VS, select Tools > Options > Intel Visual Fortran > General. Click both Reset buttons in this dialog and then OK.
0 Kudos
Martien_J
Beginner
Dear Steve

Many thanks for your quick reply. Your guess was right. Resetting the buttons did fill in the fortran file extensions. I had already noted thatthese fields were empty but did not note this as a problem.

I am up an running now, thanks for all the help

Martien
0 Kudos