Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28629 Discussions

newbie installation issue - fortran 10.0, suse, missing libraries, libc.so.6

danny1
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm not all that good on linux so excuse ingnorance. I'm trying to update Abaqus on two of our linux machines. The latest version ofAbaqusrequires Fortran Compiler 9.1 or later. I didn't see any point in putting 9.1 on as 10 is available and Abaqus will only demand that on the next upgrade.

We have 9.0 installed, so presumably any libraries this depends on are present, but Fortran 10 seems to require more. Apparently it needs:

Linux Developer tools component installed, including gcc, g++ and related tools

Linux component compat-libstdc++ providing libstdc++.so.5

Linux component containing 32-bit libraries (may be called ia32-libs)

But I can see this lot on my disk:

/usr/lib/libstdc++.la
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so
/usr/lib/libstdc++.a
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.6
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.la
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.a
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6.0.6

Does that imply they are 'installed'? Perhaps they are not linked by/to what ever they need to be.

I ask because when installing the Intel Fortran Compiler 10.1.015 it throws the following error:

--- ERROR ---
Problem encountered executing CHKLIC_32_64 utility /home/fortran-install/Free -
non commercial test/l_fc_p_10.1.015/data/chklic.em64t
This could be caused by a missing library.
The CHKLIC_32_64 program chklic.em64t requires these libraries:
linux-gate.so.1 =>
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
Please ensure that these libraries are installed on your system.
Since this is an Intel 64 platform system, this will require
installation of the proper 32-bit compatibility libraries
for this operating system.

I'm guessing but in the notation above does libX => fileX mean 'I need library X andyour os tell me it is here: fileX', if so the above message means that it has all but the top one yes? So I'm missing linux-gate.so.1 ? It didn't show up in my crude file search for libraries....

Is it then a case of finding a package for that and installing it? Or am I missinterpreting everything? Is there a command that might check for sure which libraries are installed?

Thanks for any help,

Danny

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I've installed ifort 10.1 with no difficulty on SLES10 SP1 and SP2. For OpenSuSE 10.3, I had only to accept an "unsupported" installation.
As the documents you referred to indicate, if you install g++ 32- and 64-bit development system, you have all the libraries required to support ifort. The 32-bit C++ libraries on SuSE 10.3 look like so:

libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 libstdc++.so.5.0.7
libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++.so.2.9 libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 libstdc++.so.2.9.0 libstdc++.so.6.0.9
libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 libstdc++.so.5

0 Kudos
Ron_Green
the library linux-gate.so.1 is nothing to worry about, it's in the kernel and the loader will find it. Here's a good article on the topic:

http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005/08/linux-gate/

As Tim said, you should not have problems with the installation, but I do note that you have 32 and 64 bit versions of the libraries - which is first in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or is this env var even set?). Try setting the path to /usr/lib before /usr/lib64 and see if that helps.

But a note on Abaqus: Major versions are not guaranteed to be compatible. This means going from 9.0 to 9.1 is probably not a big deal - but going from 9.1 to 10.0 and mixing objects or libraries from both versions: risky, no guarantees of compatibility. When using third party tools and libraries like Abaqus, stick to the version(s) they support. Support is a key word. If you push ahead and use 10.x with Abaqus supporting 9.x, no guarantees. If you have problems and come to Abaqus or Intel we won't be able to help. And there's nothing worse than the 'sorry, downgrade your compiler and call me in the morning' response when you're stuck up against a deadline.

This is one primary reason we make all the older compilers available on registrationcenter.intel.com.

Let us know if you're still stuck on the installation, but again, my recommendation is to stick with 9.x.

ron
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I suspect a bit of the error you received is not shown. Please see this post: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums//topic/59045

It appears you have space characters in your path in the portion highlighted below:

/home/fortran-install/Free - non commercial test/l_fc_p_10.1.015/data/chklic.em64t

Please rename that subdirectory to remove the spaces and then re-run the installation. Spaces in the path are uncommon on Linux and not currently accounted for by the compiler installer.

0 Kudos