Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

openmp offloading

DIGIKT
Beginner

Is there a support for offloading using openmp to a NVIDIA-GPU device with the ifx-fortran compiler?
If yes, could you give some example how to solve this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

ifx that is part of the Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit supports only Intel discrete and integrated GPUs. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

One could summarize the chances that Intel and NVIDIA will use each others GPU's as shown in the following picture 

Untitled.png

An illustration of soldiers fraternizing on Christmas Day 1914, drawn by World War I British soldier and cartoonist Bruce Bairnsfather.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

@JohnNichols wrote:

One could summarize the chances that Intel and NVIDIA will use each others GPU's as shown in the following picture 

Or maybe better than that...

"oneAPI is a cross-industry, open, standards-based unified programming model that delivers a common developer experience across accelerator architectures—for faster application performance, more productivity, and greater innovation. The oneAPI industry initiative encourages collaboration on the oneAPI specification and compatible oneAPI implementations across the ecosystem."

oneAPI

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

@Steve_Lionel  -  I agree entirely with the sentiment and the hope for oneAPI, but I have watched humans as you have over many years, human greed gets in the way of many good ideas and there is a lot of money to be made and so we will see a continuation of the battles. 

We do not battle out on the battlefield, well not much, but in cyberspace, the movie Ralph from Disney is probably a good model as a mental image.  Well in my mind.

Plus, I liked the picture for the xmas, it was a nice story, a bit like Microsoft and LINUX, after a 20 year battle MS finally recognized the winner in each battle and decided to stop the war.   Do you want 50% of 1 billion or 10% of 100 million, in the end the war mongers lose and the bean counters rule or some bright spark said - stop this is not helpful.   

Unfortunately the three best languages ever invented LISP C and FORTRAN will continue but we have to put up with the Mickey Mouse stuff on the side to solve minor problems.  I can now run my LINUX programs from inside Windows - latest preview is getting a lot better in WSL.  C# is ok as it is just Fortran in fancy heels.  

0 Kudos