Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28629 Discussions

"Access Denied" trying to run on Vista an EXE created by IVF on XP

Greynolds__Alan
Beginner

I have an EXE created on Window XP Profession using the latest version of IVF.After beingcopied to aWindows Vista system by a user with administrator privileges, he gets "Access Denied" when he attempts to run it from a console Window.

Has anyone tripped over this also? I know Vista has more security built in than XP, but the guy has administator privileges!

Al Greynolds

www.ruda.com

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The user may have administrator privileges but the console window doesn't unless he starts it with the "Run as administrator" option. I haven't run into this particular error myself but would wonder if it is related to how the file was copied. If it came over the network, Windows may have attached the "downloaded" flag to it. Right click on the EXE in an Explorer window, select Properties, and see what is listed.

What does this program do?

0 Kudos
Greynolds__Alan
Beginner
Steve,
I'm waiting to get access again to the Vista system (the ONLY one at our facility). One curious thing is that another EXE (but created with GCC on the same XP machine) was copied at the same time and it executes fine! The "Access Denied" EXE does have 200MB of stack space declared. Could this be an issue?
Al

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You mean the linker properties were adjusted to specify 200MB of stack space? I am not aware that this would be an issue. You may want to run this program through Dependency Walker to see if it shows a problem.

0 Kudos
Greynolds__Alan
Beginner
It turns out my installer creates a "Program Files" subdirectory and copies the EXE files in there.The first thingthe "offending" EXE does is create a small text file in that subdirectory. It was this operationthat was "Access Denied" because by default Vista doesn't like applications installed in Program Files.. to write there. I found the following related discussion:
Anyway, its not a IVF problem but now I've got to figure out how to modify my simple application installer to set things up properly on Vista. Ugh!!!
Al
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Well, I'm glad to hear that you identified the problem (and that it's not IVF).

By the way, I recommend editing your profile here and specifying a "Display Name" that's not your email address.

0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Hey, are you the Al Greynolds who used to work for Breault Research Corp and developed the ASAP analysis package? Is it still written in Fortran, or has it moved away to C- varieties? It's a great package - expensive tho!

0 Kudos
Greynolds__Alan
Beginner
Quoting - anthonyrichards
Hey, are you the Al Greynolds who used to work for Breault Research Corp and developed the ASAP analysis package? Is it still written in Fortran, or has it moved away to C- varieties? It's a great package - expensive tho!

Yes, I am. As far as I know ASAP's kernel (the non-GUI part I wrote over a period of more than 20 years) is still in Fortran. In fact for a variety of "odd" reasons, I believe its still compiled with the last release of CVF. I am working on a new piece of software (also written in Fortran) at my new job (www.ruda.com) which will be available as a free download around the new year.

Al

0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Quoting - AlGreynolds

Yes, I am. As far as I know ASAP's kernel (the non-GUI part I wrote over a period of more than 20 years) is still in Fortran. In fact for a variety of "odd" reasons, I believe its still compiled with the last release of CVF. I am working on a new piece of software (also written in Fortran) at my new job (www.ruda.com) which will be available as a free download around the new year.

Al

Eyebrows raised at the CVF admission! I'm a CVF user myself. Posters here will be interested to know why you are staying with Fortran for your new package, for which I wish you the best of luck. I guess you are using IVF now though (not the test-tube sort!)?

0 Kudos
Greynolds__Alan
Beginner
Quoting - anthonyrichards
Eyebrows raised at the CVF admission! I'm a CVF user myself. Posters here will be interested to know why you are staying with Fortran for your new package, for which I wish you the best of luck. I guess you are using IVF now though (not the test-tube sort!)?

I left BRO 6 years ago and at the time CVF was the best Windows Fortran compiler. I myself wonder why they still use it since obviously IVF is now the best one (I should get more points from Intel for that statement, right?).I like programming in modern Fortran-95+ (with OpenMP) because of myyears of experiencewith the language, its straightforward syntax (especially for arrays and the complex data type), and fast code execution.Besides IVF on Windows, I make sure all my Fortran/OpenMP code cleanly compiles and runs on a dozen other compiler/OS combinations.

Al

0 Kudos
Greynolds__Alan
Beginner
Quoting - AlGreynolds

Besides IVF on Windows, I make sure all my Fortran/OpenMP code cleanly compiles and runs on a dozen other compiler/OS combinations.

Al

I also find it advantageous to make sure my code compiles and runs cleanly whether I use 4, 8, 10, or 16 byte reals. This all guarantees that my algorithms are independent of compiler, OS, or real precision.

0 Kudos
rase
New Contributor I

I use both CVF and IVF, CVF for older but large projects with many subroutines, because the source browser is a very handy development tool not available in IVF (yet). I hope for several years now that Intel provides a similar tool, and I can get rid of CVF and use IVF alone for better programs and superior runtime performance.

0 Kudos