Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28440 Discussions

"An unspecified error has occurred" when displaying variables in Locals panel

Mattia
Novice

I get the message "An unspecified error has occurred" when I try to check the array in the panel of local variables in Visual Studio 2019. I have HPC toolkit installed. The compiler seems to work as it should, but I cannot check variables!Note that those variables exist and they are assigned.

I attach a screenshot...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I have complained about this before. The "fix" is to install the "Intel Distribution for GDB" from the OneAPI Base Toolkit (and anything it requires.) I have asked Intel to move the Fortran debugging support into the HPC toolkit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

From the entries in the column "Types" in your screenshot, I conclude that the Fortran integration is absent or defective. The type names indicate that the VS debugger thinks that the variables belong to a C/C++ program.

Mattia
Novice

You are right, the type are not fortran-like. So, can it be my too recent version of Visual Studio 2019? It is version 16.8.3.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I have complained about this before. The "fix" is to install the "Intel Distribution for GDB" from the OneAPI Base Toolkit (and anything it requires.) I have asked Intel to move the Fortran debugging support into the HPC toolkit.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

For a long time, until I read one of Steve's posts on this topic, I had thought that GDB was only needed if the installation was on a system with a Xeon Phi or similar coprocessor, which used a version of Linux as the OS even on a Windows host.

Just now, I did a "Modify" to add GDB on one of my PCs running Windows 10, and the installer insisted on adding DPC++ and a bunch of other stuff that were "prerequisites", a download of over 160 MB, and an installation that took nearly half an hour after saying, "It may take up to 5 minutes".

Finalizing installation. It may take up to 5 minutes...
Updating package state...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/08/2021 18:08:12:529 : 4204 : MESSAGE : Start install/modify sequence execution.
01/08/2021 18:36:11:161 : 4204 : MESSAGE : Install sequence execution is completed successfully.

0 Kudos
Mattia
Novice

Thank you, this worked! I had to install a lot of supplementary stuff, though...

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, it is entirely unnecessary and inappropriate. I hope that the Intel support team is able to convince the install developers of that.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I will note that GDB (or gdb, really) has absolutely nothing to do with Fortran debugging support in Visual Studio. The Intel install team decided on their own, that since it was "debugging", that it would get lumped in with the only other debugging stuff in oneAPI.

0 Kudos