Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

"Error: The operation could not be completed message" with IVF Composer XE and VS2010

John6
Beginner

Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 seems to have a Visual Studio 2010 integration problem when compiling multiple Fortran static library projects.

I have attached a zip package with one VS2010 solution with two VFortran projects which I hope can reproduce this problem.

To summarize, the solution fails to compile at times, with the IDE reporting only the message "Error: The operation could not be completed".

The error does not occur all the time. To recreate, one must keep compiling multiple times until the error shows up. Press Ctrl-Shift-B repeatedly until the problem occurs.

Some observations:

1. The problem does not occur with only a single Fortran project in the solution...multiple projects (minimum two) must be present to see the issue.

2. This error does not always occur after the same number of (repeated) builds.

3. When it does occur, the Fortran project must be unloaded and then reloaded from VStudio, or VStudio itself restarted.

4. When the problem occurs, users cannot even clean the project files.

5. Only one of the Fortran projects fails, not both. In the attachment two projects are present but only one will fail.

6. This problem did not occur with the use of VStudio 2005. I had been using VS2005 for a number of months until recently moving to VS2010, and the error never occured.

7. This problem does not occur with multiple C++ projects alone, only multiple Fortran projects.

8. My OS is WinXP Pro x64, for what it's worth.

Is there any solution or workaround available for this problem?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok. I was working with another customer last week and encountered very much the same symptom. I created a new project, added the source files to it, and removed the old project. The problem went away. Try that on a few of your projects and see what happens.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
I will try that on all of the existing Fortran projects in my solution and see what happens.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you do, and find it helps, please save the old and new .vfproj files, ZIP them and attach. I want to see if there's a difference.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Yes, will do. I have 14 projects to do, so it may take a little while.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Well, after removing each project one-by-one and creating them new again (and resetting the compilation options), the problem still exists. This does not come as a surprise, because I had already tried creating two brand new static library projects (dummies, with nothing in them but call stubs) and I was able to get the error to appear. The .zip package with these two is in post #5. Again, to recreate this error with that simple package (from what I think I know now), you need to have a WinXP Pro x64 OS, and you need to compile in rapid succession (pressing Ctrl-Shift-B in rapid succession was the way I did it). If one of the projects in that test solution is removed, the error will not occur, because only a single fortran project will be in the solution. In my larger project, I do not have to compile in rapid succession to get this error to appear. It would be interesting to take the .zip test package in post #5, adding more and more simple fortran projects to it (such that they compile OK the first time, of course) and repeat the rapid succession compile to see if the error occurs (my theory being that the more fortran projects in the solution, the "quicker" the error will show up).
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
John,

I realize that this is aggravating for you, but you are using an unsupported combination of VS and OS. In our work with adding the VS2010 Shell to a future release, we had to exclude XP 64 because this combination was unsupported and we saw many issues.

Please use a supported combination of compiler, Visual Studio and OS.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Actually, I am OK with that... My preferred option is to upgrade to Win7, keeping IVF 12 and VS 2010. Am I correct in assuming that combination is supported?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, absolutely.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Steve, thank you very much for the support... It was very much appreciated.
Regards,
John
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
As a closingpost to this thread, I finally have fully upgraded to Win7 (x64) and had MS Visual Studio 2010 and IVF Composer XE re-installed. All projects built perfectly and I no longer see the "Error: The operation could not be completed" message. Once again, thank you Intel for the support.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am glad to hear it.
0 Kudos