Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

"Error: The operation could not be completed message" with IVF Composer XE and VS2010

John6
Beginner

Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 seems to have a Visual Studio 2010 integration problem when compiling multiple Fortran static library projects.

I have attached a zip package with one VS2010 solution with two VFortran projects which I hope can reproduce this problem.

To summarize, the solution fails to compile at times, with the IDE reporting only the message "Error: The operation could not be completed".

The error does not occur all the time. To recreate, one must keep compiling multiple times until the error shows up. Press Ctrl-Shift-B repeatedly until the problem occurs.

Some observations:

1. The problem does not occur with only a single Fortran project in the solution...multiple projects (minimum two) must be present to see the issue.

2. This error does not always occur after the same number of (repeated) builds.

3. When it does occur, the Fortran project must be unloaded and then reloaded from VStudio, or VStudio itself restarted.

4. When the problem occurs, users cannot even clean the project files.

5. Only one of the Fortran projects fails, not both. In the attachment two projects are present but only one will fail.

6. This problem did not occur with the use of VStudio 2005. I had been using VS2005 for a number of months until recently moving to VS2010, and the error never occured.

7. This problem does not occur with multiple C++ projects alone, only multiple Fortran projects.

8. My OS is WinXP Pro x64, for what it's worth.

Is there any solution or workaround available for this problem?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Try setting the number of parallel builds in the VS2010 options to 1.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner

I had already set the number of parallel builds in VS2010 to 1.
I also should mention that the repeated builds was the only way I could succesfully reproduce the problem. In reality, the project I am involved with includes multiple C++ projects and multiple Fortran projects, and the error message seems to occur randomly (although only when multiple Fortran projects are present, which suggests a glitch in the VS2010 inetgration, especially because this did not occur prior, when we usedVS2005 for the same project).

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Thanks for providing the projects. From what I can see, you made changes to the projects' Output Directory and Intermediate Directory setting them to be the same directory for both projects. This frequently causes problems on rebuilds as each project's build "cleans" the outputs of the same directory. I strongly recommend against such a configuration.

My usual recommendation is to keep the directories distinct. If you want, add a post-build step to copy the output file(s) to where you want. You can also specify the Output File to be a common location.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Agreed. I believe I may have set the TestProj up slightly differently than our usual directory structure, which I believe follows the guidelines you mentioned. I will change this in the TestProj and see if the problem still exists.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Ok, I have restructured the TestProj to mimic our project better. The .sln file is in the head directory. Each of the Fortran projects is in a different subdirectory. When each project builds, the outputs of the builds go into a subdirectory named $(PlatformName)\$(ConfigurationName). This allows us to change platformveryquickly from Win32 to x64 and configuration from Debug to Release. I believe this follows your guidelines. All this said, the problem still exists, even though the outputs of the builds should be in different directories. The new TestProj is attached, which should result in a different directory structure when built (my aplogies for the first attachment, which was in error).
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I can't reproduce the problem you saw, or any problem, with this set. (I didn't see the one you saw with the first ZIP but a different one caused by the folder conflict.) Do the build logs show anything?
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner

The problem occurs with the following steps. Opening the .sln file with dbl-click. Press Shift-Ctrl-B in rapid succession until it shows. The last time I did this it took approx 10 repeated builds to reproduce. In that case it was Proj 2 which failed. I know this because if I try to clean each project individually, only proj 1 cleans OK. Proj 2 gives the same (uninformative) message. The build log for proj 2 is (although the time stamp shows me that the build log didn't update, so I think it is from the last successful build):

Compiling with Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.0.1.127 [IA-32]...

ifort /nologo /debug:full /arch:IA32 /Qdiag-disable:8290,8291,8293 /debug-parameters:all /warn:unused /Qsave /fpconstant /iface:cvf /module:"Win32\Debug/" /object:"Win32\Debug/" /Fd"Win32\Debug\vc100.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /extfor:f /Qvc10 /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\\bin" "D:\Documents and Settings\e002427\My Documents\TestProj\TestProj2\testproj2.f"

Creating library...

Lib /OUT:"Win32\Debug/TestProj2.lib" /NOLOGO "Win32\Debug/testproj2.obj"

xilib: executing 'lib'

TestProj2 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

One additional item: I had upgraded from VS2005 to VS2010 by using the "Modify" function from the IVF installer and then adding the VS2010 integration in addition to the VS2005 integration. Would totally uninstalling the IVF Composer XE package and then reinstalling it make any difference? It seemed like the "Modify" worked fine (although I was prompted to "modify" from the original media)?

0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Well, after an uninstall and complete re-install of IVF 12, the problem still exists. Another thng I tried was creating this IVF solution and projects from scratch (not overriding any of the default IVF project settings). Even then the problem still exists. Also, not just on my machine, but also on two co-workers' machines. I wish I knew what the operation name is that cannot be completed. How can I determine whether this is an IVF glitch, a VS 2010 glitch, or both? Or is this caused by a virus scanner (we use McAfee) locking some process while scanning? Or is this a symptom of a VS2010 installation which didn't quite work perfectly (I don't always trust our IT dept. when they install large complex software... they frequently leave some piece out... that said, I have no evidence that this was anything other than a perfect VS2010 installation). I notice after Googling the error that others saw this error in VS2010 beta testing (which was over a year ago, however). Could there be a file lock problem going on? Many questions, much speculation...
Others have also seen this: Related thread:http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=66344
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
The problem still exists, even after upgrading to IVF 12, Update 3. It seems to be much more prevalent on WinXP 64 than WinXP (32). The more Fortran projects in a solution, the easier the problem is to see.
Also, the "Modified Date" file property seems to be 7 hours in the future. Could this be related? Why would this property be 7 hours in the future after saving the file?
Once again, our typical solution has both C++ and Fortran projects, and the build errors occur only on Fortran projects (static libs). The build which resulted in the output below was for a project which had previously compiled perfectly. On a subsequent build (with NO changes), this output resulted:
Error: The operation could not be completed
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 8 failed, 10 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I doubt it is a general IVF problem as if it were I'd think we'd see it from other customers. The modified date issue is interesting - are you sure your system clock is set properly and to the right timezone? Can you attach the buildlog.htm from one of these failed projects?
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
The clock seems correct. I have attached the build log of one of the "failed" project. In this case I built successfully (once), pressed build again (OK, no errors), then the 3rd time I pressed build the message showed up. I identified which fortran project was failing by trying to clean each fortran project in sequence until I found the one which showed the message on clean (the build log is attached).
========== Clean: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
Error: The operation could not be completed========== Clean: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The log you attached showed a successful build.
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner

Yes, the attached log reflects the last successful build. The error message occurs AFTER a successful build, but before another build.

So, say I modify only one project and press build. The project I modified will build (successfully), but the "Error: The operation could not be completed" message will appear, referring to one of the OTHER projects (which I have not touched and should be up-to-date). I know that it is referring to an up-to-date project because when choosing the "Project Only - Clean" option on each library project in succession, eventually the message occurs on an up-to-date project (and that project cannot clean). After isolating which project causes the message to appear, I have looked at the time-stamps of the .obj files in the project and they are the time stamps of the last successful build, as is the build log. So there is no build log of the project which is going to have anything in it other than the successful build information.

The error message(s) will multiply on each successive press of the build button. The next time there may two messages, then maybe three or four, until eventually all Fortran projects (except one) are reported as failed. So, in the solution I am building now, I have 23 projects. Eight are C++ projects (some of which have dependencies on any of 14 Fortran static libraries). The other is a C# test project, which is somewhat independent from the others (no dependencies). After a while 13 of the 14 Fortran projects will be reported as "failed".

Each time I run the main program ("Start Debugging"), the pop-up window appears showing me that these 13 projects are out-of-date. I end up having to ignore this pop-up, and the program runs OK. This problem is more than a nuisance. When you have multiple projects in a solution, it becomes difficult to know whether there is a real problem or not when several of the projects are reported as failed or not up-to-date because of this "Error: The operation could not be completed" message.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Do you have any sort of source code management plugin installed? Would you please do Help > About in VS, click "Copy Info" and paste the results here (or into a text file you attach).
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
Here's the info (see below). We do have source code config control (using TortoiseSVN), but this is external to VS and I have already ruled it out because I have reproduced the error on another machine without SVN installed.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel
Installed Version: Professional
Microsoft Office Developer Tools 01018-532-2002181-70728
Microsoft Office Developer Tools
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010
Microsoft Visual C# 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728
Microsoft Visual C# 2010
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010
Microsoft Visual F# 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728
Microsoft Visual F# 2010
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer 01018-532-2002181-70728
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Intel Visual Fortran Package ID: w_fcompxe_2011.3.175
Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, 12.0.3470.2010, Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Intel Corporation
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB983509) KB983509
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1RelMicrosoft .NET FrameworkVersion 4.0.30319 SP1Rel
Installed Version: Professional
Microsoft Office Developer Tools 01018-532-2002181-70728Microsoft Office Developer Tools
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728Microsoft Visual Basic 2010
Microsoft Visual C# 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728Microsoft Visual C# 2010
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728Microsoft Visual C++ 2010
Microsoft Visual F# 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728Microsoft Visual F# 2010
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer 01018-532-2002181-70728Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01018-532-2002181-70728Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Intel Visual Fortran Package ID: w_fcompxe_2011.3.175Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, 12.0.3470.2010, Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Intel Corporation* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB983509) KB983509This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools 10.0.40219Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
We have installed IVF 12 (Update 3) and VStudio 2010 on a laptop which has Win7, and the problem does not occur. Also, today after our IT contacted a Microsoft rep regarding this, the MS rep stated that the supported operating systems for VS 2010 are (note that XP 64-bit is not on the list):
Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3 - all editions except Starter Edition
Windows Vista (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions except Starter Edition
Windows 7 (x86 & x64)
Windows Server 2003 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2
Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 & x64)
Windows Server 2008 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2
Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
The MS rep stated that "it's going to be hard to troubleshoot/support this when XP 64-bit isn't a supported OS for VS 2010."
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am inclined to agree with the Microsoft rep. If you install the Fortran compiler with the Visual Studio 2008 shell on this system, or with Visual Studio 2008 Professional, does it work? (Or does your application require languages other than Fortran?)
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
I had been using VStudio 2005 with IVF 12 between 12/2010 and 04/2011 (same OS - Win XP64) with no problem at all. We skipped VStudio 2008, and jumped straight from 2005 to 2010. But I find it interesting that VS 2005 and IVF 12 had no problem on XP-64, and VS2010 and IVF 12 may. Our application requires both Fortran and C++, and IVF has been great and worked perfectly with both.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Would you please attach the build log from a failed build?
0 Kudos
John6
Beginner
I would if there was a build log from a failed build (I tried to explain this in Post #13). The error occurs prior to building one or more projects in the solution, after successfully building the solution... All I know for sure is that the error is directly related to Fortran, because it only happens when Fortran projects are present, and only with multiple Fortran projects... If I keep pressing build, eventually I get this error N times where N = # of Fortran projects -1. And when it happens, the only way I can isolate it to try and clean each Fortran project in succession, whereupon the error will occur only once, on that particular project (and it will not clean). If I close VS entirely and re-open, the output window show all builds succeeded.
So, the following (directly from the output window) shows 9 projects up-to-date (Eight of these are C++ projects, and the ninth is one Fortran project). The "failures" are not failed, really. I know they were OK from the last successful build . The build logs will show all projects succesfully compiled.