Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28486 Discussions

"Go to definition of" doesn't work in CVF

skylane69
Beginner
I have version 6.6B of CVF. When I am debugging code I attempt to right click on a variable and click "Go to definition of Variablename." However, this just produces the message "The symbol 'VariableName' is undefined." Does anybody know how to get this to work?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
skylane69
Beginner
Nevermind. I found out that I needed to click Tools -> Source Browser..... and then I had to clear the "Case Sensitive" box. It works great now.
0 Kudos
hweisberg
Beginner

There seem to be several limitations.

1. If you have a workspace with multiple projects, for example DLLs, you only see the symbols in the "Active" project.

2. If the same symbol is defined in more than one place (for example as local variables in more than one subroutine), you always get the same definition (rather than the correct definition). For example if "x" is defined in both subroutine A and subroutine B, and you right-click on a usage of xin subroutine B, and then you click to go to the definition of x, you may wind up at the definition of x in subroutine A.

3. Doesn't work for symbols defined in include files.

Two questions:

Q1. Is there a way around these limitations in CVF?

Q2. Is IVF better in any of these regards?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is Developer Studio's "Source Browser" feature. It does have some limitations, as you found.

Unfortunately, due to MS licensing restrictions, this feature is not available in IVF.

0 Kudos
skylane69
Beginner
I have a number of include files (common blocks,unfortunately...)and it appears to pick up those definitions just fine. Also, when there are multiple definitions as you mentioned in #2it appears to bring up a dialog allowing you to choose which one you are interested in.
0 Kudos
hweisberg
Beginner
Sorry ... "Go To Definition" does indeed pick up symbols in include files, and if there is more than one one definition, it does bring up a dialog to let you choose which one to view.
Also, if there is more than one definition for the symbol, you can navigate from one to the next or previous one using the keybaord commands Ctrl, Num+and Ctrl, Num-.
However, this only seems to work if the symbols are in the "active" project. In our case we have multiple DLLs, with a different project for each DLL. Once you start debugging, it doesn't seem to be possible to change the "active" project.So ifyou are not debugging in the "active" DLL, "Go To Definition" only lets you see symbols in the file that contains the breakpoint.
I'm sorry to hear that the "Go To Definition" feature isn't available at all in IVF. If IVF had this feature, and it worked better than in CVF, itwould have been a motivation for us to migrate from CVF to IVF.
0 Kudos
hweisberg
Beginner
Sorry ... "Go To Definition" does indeed pick up symbols in include files, and if there is more than one one definition, it does bring up a dialog to let you choose which one to view.
Also, if there is more than one definition for the symbol, you can navigate from one to the next or previous one using the keybaord commands Ctrl, Num+and Ctrl, Num-.
However, this only seems to work if the symbols are in the "active" project. In our case we have multiple DLLs, with a different project for each DLL. Once you start debugging, it doesn't seem to be possible to change the "active" project.So if you are not debugging in the "active" DLL, "Go To Definition" doesn't seem to let you see symbols in include files or other projects.
I'm sorry to hear that the "Go To Definition" feature isn't available at all in IVF. If IVF had this feature, and it worked better than in CVF, itwould have been a motivation to migrate from CVF to IVF.
0 Kudos
jackosullivan
Beginner

Steve,

I'm using IVF 9.1 in Visual Studio .NET 2003 (as provided with Visual C++.NET).

The "Go to definition" still does not work with 9.1.

Does IVF10 restore that capability, now that you seem on better licensing terms with Microsoft?

I am not very excited about updating IVF mid-project, but could be convinced if the "Go to definition" is available.

Thanks and God bless!

Jack

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
That feature is not available in 10.0, but it is still a possible for the future.
0 Kudos
door_boy
Beginner

In Visual Studio 2005, the pop-up menu (right click on variables) does not even provide an option to "go to declaration" or "go to definition". Anybody has a clue about this?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Same as I wrote above - this feature is not currently supported by Intel Fortran. I encourage you to submit a feature request to Intel Premier Support - this is how we guage customer interest.
0 Kudos