Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28434 Discussions

relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32S against symbol

Gabriel_S_1
Beginner

Hi,  

I was part of the beta program for the intel 2017 compiler. Everything worked fine. We just updated to the official release and i have a new issue with the message : 

(.text+0x51): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `mod_parallel_defs_mp_comm_' defined in COMMON section in avbp.a(mod_parallel_defs.o)

the avbp.a file is an archive we generate ourself from .o files with the  ar r  command … I have seen in the forum that switching to dynamic libraries might solve the issue ( ticket from 2011 ) but this is not a librarie juste an archive to avoid having a very large linking command that fails on some systems ( we have a lot of files .. )

Any suggestions ? Why did the behavior change between the beta and the release ? 

We have this issue on a KNL system.

thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The linkage error was caused by over 2 GB of static data in the library. Please try to recompile the library and application with option "-mcmodel medium" or "-mcmodel large".

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Gabriel_S_1
Beginner

Hi , thank you for the info.

Indeed it seems to solve the problem. Please note that the intel 2017 beta ( 2017.0.064 ) did not have this requirement  but the release ( 2017.0.098 ) does. 

0 Kudos