Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

'spurious' segmentation fault under fedora but not ubuntu or centos

karin_m_
Beginner

I have a problem with a program which, when compiled with ifort,  throws a 'segmentation fault' when running under fedora (tried 16 and 22) but not when running under Ubuntu  (14.04) or CentOS (6). the same program compiled with Lahey LF64 or gfortran runs o.k. on all platforms (but I would like the better performance ifort gives me). I have compiled all three compiler versions with array bound and other error checking switched on and not been able to identify any errors; I've also tried different ifort versions (13.0.1.117 and 15.02.164) but  nothing seems to make any difference. I have traced the error to be occurring at a subroutine call (printed out screen messages just before the call & as the 1st statement in the subroutine - the latter didn't show up) and double-checked that all parameters passed are o.k.

my questions: has anybody encountered something like this? any suggestions what else I might try to resolve this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

You may already aware of the article about Determining Root Cause of Segmentation Faults SIGSEGV or SIGBUS errors. From what you described perhaps it relates to a large array temporary. There are two useful references at the bottom of the article worthy of review also.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

You may already aware of the article about Determining Root Cause of Segmentation Faults SIGSEGV or SIGBUS errors. From what you described perhaps it relates to a large array temporary. There are two useful references at the bottom of the article worthy of review also.

0 Kudos
karin_m_
Beginner

thanks for the link! that is an informative article. adding -heap-arrays did help me out.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

You're welcome. Glad to hear it was helpful.

0 Kudos