Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

support for use mpi_f08

DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

Does Intel 19 suite for Windows support the use of USE MPI_F08? When I try to compile code with this USE on Windows with Intel 19.4 compilers, I get the following error:

error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file.  Check INCLUDE paths.   [MPI_F08]
        use mpi_f08
------------^
compilation aborted

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Intel Fortran doesn't supply MPI declarations. You would have to get these from whichever MPI library you happen to be using (and would likely need to compile the source for the module.)

0 Kudos
DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

Hi Steve, I have Intel parallel Studio 2019.4 and I suppose it already contains Intel MPI, which should be the only MPI that is installed on the system. I have to say that it recognizes USE MPI, but not mpi_f08:

mpifc.bat for the Intel(R) MPI Library 2019 Update 4 for Windows*
Copyright 2007-2019 Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

So you have the Cluster Edition? It may be that Intel MPI doesn't yet provide MPI_F08, or you may need to compile it first. I don't have Intel MPI so can't check for you. Ask in the Clustering Technology forum if you need help with Intel MPI.

0 Kudos
DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

Thanks Steve, yes it is Intel Cluster edition. I have read somewhere else on this forum, that mpi_f08 module is not yet supported on Windows, only on Linux. So that may be the reason. I will ask there as well.

0 Kudos
Frank_Illenseer
Beginner

[ Original author created follow-up topic as https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-clusters-and-hpc-technology/topic/820711#comment-1952845 ]

0 Kudos
DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

Hi again Steve, I know that you are not officially at Intel anymore. But since "Clusters and HPC Technology" seems to be completely dormant or adamant about MPI Fortran:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-clusters-and-hpc-technology/topic/820711

(and that you are the ultimate hope on this forum when all doors are shut), whom should we refer to next at Intel to get help on this issue? I know that Intel MPI on windows may not have as many fans, but the problem is if someone wants to create cross-platform applications, then they are either forced to use the old MPI standard or use the new MPI syntax on Linux and use the old syntax on Windows. The later does not make sense at all since it is twice as much work and unclean, so the users are essentially left with the old MPI standard on all platforms, because of the lag in Windows MPI development. That in turn means, the new mpi_f08 would likely remain useless on Linux too.

I may be all wrong and there may already exist an implementation of mpi_f08 on Windows, but clearly the "Clusters and HPC Technology" forum is not responsive to this issue.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I would suggest submitting a request through the Intel Online Service Center against Intel MPI. That will get it properly assigned. It's unfortunate that the Intel MPI support team isn't participating in their forum.

0 Kudos