Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

sync image problem with Coarray Fortran

Jump to solution

Hello,

I learn from "Coarrays in the next Fortran Standard" by John Reid that following piece of code will make other images to wait for image 1

program main
	implicit none
	if(this_image()==1) then
		call sleep(1)
		sync images(*)
	else
		sync images(1)
	endif
	write(*,*)this_image()
	call sleep(10)
end program

I expect it take 11 seconds to finish. But it actually take 21s. The extra time is the time of second sleep(). It seems that image 1 is wait for image 2 to finish the whole code. If I remove the first sleep(), the time is 11 seconds as expected.

The program is compiled with ifort -coarray -coarray-num-images=2 using Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.3.210 Build 20160415

Any idea? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Development found the root

Jump to solution

Development found the root cause. While your case did not exhibit the same behavior with 17.0, the possibility of the root cause still existed w/17.0; therefore, the fix will be applied to that release; likely the first update in the Q4 timeframe. The fix missed the upcoming final PSXE 2016 (16.0) update but will be applied to that branch in the event of a future unplanned update.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

I can reproduce the behavior

Jump to solution

I can reproduce the behavior you described with our current PSXE 2016 Update 3 (ifort 16.0.3.210) compiler but I cannot with our upcoming PSXE 2017 (ifort 17.0) compiler so it seems possible there is a defect with 16.0 responsible for the delay of image 1 when the sleep(1) is active.

I will make some inquiries with Development.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks a lot for this

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for this information.

This problem slow my real program a lot. So if there is any progress, please let me know.

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I reported the issue to

Jump to solution

I reported the issue to Development for further investigation and to ensure we understand the underlying reason behind the change with 17.0. I will keep you updated about their findings.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200413377)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Development found the root

Jump to solution

Development found the root cause. While your case did not exhibit the same behavior with 17.0, the possibility of the root cause still existed w/17.0; therefore, the fix will be applied to that release; likely the first update in the Q4 timeframe. The fix missed the upcoming final PSXE 2016 (16.0) update but will be applied to that branch in the event of a future unplanned update.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos