Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

using GETCHARQQ with a cursor

jajdavid
Beginner

Is it possible to use GETCHARQQ and a cursor to position characters in a window?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

SETTEXTPOSITION and OUTGTEXT are for QuickWin applications. Is yours a QuickWin application?

0 Kudos
jajdavid
Beginner

yes it is quickwin at least for the time being...I will be happy to change to whatever is more appropriate...

My latest thought is that one needs to allocate a console to do what I am describing.. I already have a working console application that I would like to adapt to an entire window rather than a single line, as it is now...

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Can you describe your application in more detail? It almost sounds as if you're writing a text editor. Maybe there's a different interface paradigm that would work better, as what you're describing is unusual.

0 Kudos
jajdavid
Beginner

Correct!

I looking to replace my favorite editing program M.EXE with a 32-bit version that will run under 64-bit windows. There is a replacement Q.EXE but it is not to my liking.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I suspect you'll find that QuickWin doesn't offer enough control of what you want, but good luck to you!

0 Kudos
jajdavid
Beginner

Yes, you're probably right.

What do you suggest?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I've never heard of text editors called M.EXE or Q.EXE so I don't know what it is about them that is unique. There are zillions of great text editors out there. I use TextPad myself, Notepad++ is another popular choice. I'm having difficulty understanding how one would implement a full-featured and good performing text editor in Fortran. I am sure it can be done, but Fortran's not the best tool for this. If you're doing this because you enjoy the exercise, that's fine.

0 Kudos
jajdavid
Beginner

M.EXE was the original text editor supplied with MS PowerStation.. A lot (at least two) of people got used to it and liked it. When DF came along, we continued to use it.

0 Kudos
jajdavid
Beginner

Here's how I going to do this.

1) As Steve already implied, QuickWin is not appropriate for this kind of program

2) One can create a very nice console window using the START command and  .LNK file, which enables one to specify colors, position and size of the console window amongst other attributes. One needs to specify a name with this command, otherwise it won't create a new window. e.g. START "WINDOW NAME" "FILE.LNK"

3) The basic command interpreter to be used in the LNK file  will be CMD.EXE /K

3) In FILE.LNK one specifies the initial program, which of course will be the program I am writing. Passing parameters to this program probably needs to be via a file that is always in a fixed known location. This file is then added as a parameter inside the LNK.

4) KERNEL32.F90 has all the necessary hooks to read and write the console window created by CMD.EXE

That's all there is to it, I believe!

0 Kudos