Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

which version to install

jwock
Beginner
i just purchased the fortran compiler for windows and am unsure of which version to install. i am running windows xp on an Intel Core2 Duo CPU - specifically an E8400 w 3 GB of RAM. Also - should I get more RAM? Someone told me that XP can't support more than 3 GB - is that so?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Windows XP 32-bit supported just 3GB (more would be ignored, unless used for video memory). Such CPUs are sold nowadays with Windows 7 64-bit installed, typically with 4GB RAM. For building applications to run on 32-bit Windows, you need ifort for IA32.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Do you already have a supported version of Visual Studio installed? If so, then download and install the one with _novsshell in its name. If you don't, then download and install the "full" package that includes Visual Studio 2008 Shell.

If you know that you want only a single architecture target and already have Visual Studio, you can use the _ia32.exe download.

As Tim says, XP won't recognize more than 3GB of RAM, but that should be plenty for 32-bit applications.
0 Kudos
chauvjo
Novice

Steve,

If I am running the 32-bit version of Windows XP on a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, is my only option to install the IA-32 version of Visual Fortran or can I install the IA-32 and Intel 64 version? If so, can I build a 64 bit application when running a 32-bit operating system?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You could build a 64-bit application, but you can't run it on the 32-bit OS.
0 Kudos
chauvjo
Novice
So you are saying I can install the IA-32 and Intel 64 Visual Fortran package on a system running 32-bit Windows XP on 64-bit Intel hardware and then build a 64-bit version of my application to distribute to users running 64-bit Windows XP?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It doesn't even matter whether you have 64-bit hardware, but it's like being blind-folded. Why not install 64-bit Windows, so you can verify the build?
0 Kudos
chauvjo
Novice

I am forced to use what mycompany has provided and the approved operating system is currently the 32-bit version of Windows XP. The 64-bit applications are for another division that has a small set of PCs running the 64-bit version of Windows XP. I appreciate your suggestions but still am not sure if installing the IA-32 and Intel 64 package is the right choice.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
32-bit build will run on the 64-bit installations
0 Kudos
chauvjo
Novice

Thanks again for the help but it seems I am doing a poor job of phasing my question.Hopefully I can get it right this time...Here is my setup

1. I am running a 32 bit version of Windows XP and have Visual Studio 2008 Installed

2. I need to build both a 32-bit and 64-bit version of my applications

Which version of Visual Fortran should I install assuming #2 is possible.

a. Intel Visual Fortran for IA-32

b. Intel Visual Fortran for IA-32 and Intel 64

c. Intel Visual Fortran for Intel 64

0 Kudos
Glenn1
Beginner

Install "w_cprof_p_11.1.060_novsshell.exe" (IA-32 and Intel-64) on your 32-bit system running VS2008.

Then you can build a 32-bit application which will execute on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems or you can build a 64-bit application which will run on 64-bit systems only.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I agree with Glenn - just make sure that your VS2008 installation has the Visual C++ > x64 Compiler and Tools component installed. It is not there by default with a Professional Edition or higher install. Do a "Change" on VS2008 in Add/Remove Programs and make sure that option is selected.
0 Kudos