Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Announcement: GPA 2015 R2 Released!

Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi all,

The Graphics Performance Analyzers team is proud to announce a new version of GPA!

This version is available today via direct download from the GPA home page.

This update includes:

• For Analyzing Windows Applications
    • support for Intel® Pentium® N 3700 and Intel® Celeron® N3000/N3050/N3150 processors
    • support for Oculus VR* enabled games
  • For Analyzing Android Applications
    • support for 64-bit Android* targets
    • improved fragment shader override
    • support for ASTC textures
  • For Analyzing Ubuntu Targets
    •  OpenGL* support for Ubuntu targets

and much more…

View all the latest changes at: https://software.intel.com/articles/intel-gpa-product-announcement

Download page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/gpa

INDE info page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-inde

Thank you for your continual support!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
diamantis__nikos

Hello.

There is a problem with your update system of GPA.

First of all using 2015 R1 I didn't get the notification about new GPA version released, so I downloaded manually the new GPA 15.2 release version 247704.

But today I got a new notification this time using GPA 2015 R2 about upgrading again to new GPA 15.2 version 247762.

This new version doesn't exist in your site, I ran through the downloading process and the executable was the same like before, version 247704.

So, what is the latest GPA 15.2 version and where could I get it ?

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for posting about this. We are currently updating our XML file to have the correct version number.  

247704 is the correct version for the GPA suite (System Analyzer, Platform Analyzer, and Frame Analyzer for DX).

247762 is the correct version for Frame Analyzer for OpenGL. 

We will have the XML fixed and reposted later today, but you have the most recent and correct build.  

Sorry for the confusion!  Let me know if you have any other questions. 

I'll post back to this thread when the XML is updated.  

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos,

The XML file is updated, so you should not be getting this notification any longer.  

Please let me know if you continue to get the message or any other issues arise. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Yes everything is fine now, I see no messages calling me to update.

Unfortunately, the issue mentioned two months ago here : https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/551743, hasn't been fixed yet.

I copy here again the bug/problem:

My system is Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Core i7 4790 - Drivers 4222

When I use System Analyzer or Analyze Application, MFX Engine, MFX Decode and MFX Encode all work as they should, always showing values without zeroes.

BUT both System Analyzer and Analyze Application work only with one by one file. So, after testing one video in order to check another one you have to CLOSE System Analyzer and open it again or close the analyzed app by Analyze Application and open the app again!

They don't support continuous monitoring of files one after the other. This is very inconvenient when you want to check more than one file, you have to close and reopen the Sys Analyzer or the App.

If you don't close Sys Analyzer and reopen it, it shows only MFX Engine without MFX Decode or MFX Encode metrics.

If you don't close the analyzed app and reopen it using Analyze Application, it shows nothing!

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos, 

Sorry to hear you still have this issue.  It certainly sounds frustrating to constantly be closing and reopening the application.  

We are currently tracking this bug and working with our driver team to get it resolved.   The fix is planned to be released in August, but lets figure out a work around for now. 

If you unsubscribe to MFX Decode/Encode metrics when it shows zero, then resubscribe right after, will it still show zero?

Also, one of our driver developers said that Windows 7 did not seem to have this issue.  If you have a Windows 7 partition, you may be able to give that a try?

I'll keep you updated, and please let me know if either of these temporary solutions work for you.

Thank you again for your patience Nikos! 

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos, 

Just wanting to follow up.  Did any of those temp solutions work for you?  

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Hello.

I upgraded to Win 10 x64 and I went back to zero regarding GPA support.

Now I can't even see values for GPU load, MFX decode, MFX encode even for a single file. They are all zero from the beginning to the end.

Of course when I change to a different file in a row, then the metrics completely disappear like in Win 8.1

I tried both "Analyze Application" mode and "System Analyzer"

Using System Analyzer I got my first blue screen when I tried to close System Analyzer while the Media Player was still running in the background.

Completely disaster!

My specs are:

Win 10 Ent x64 Build 10240 - Core i7 4790 - HD 4600 - Drivers v4235 (From Windows Update)

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos,

Wow,  that is a disaster!  I'm sorry about the blue screen.  In 2015 R2  we do not support Windows 10 yet.   We will have full support for Win10 in the next realease, 2015 R3.  I'll ask the development team if I could get you an early build.  

Our driver team is still working on getting the fix for the multi-file bug as well.  They will hopefully be releasing the fix soon. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Hello.

I'll wait for the fix and the Win 10 support of 2015R3 version.

In the meantime I discovered that in all Windows OS versions, when I run a Media Player like MPC-HC in window mode there is a way to see the stats without going full screen. I have to put the stats in the top left corner! In all other cases on all other corners, the stats are just disappearing. Only if I maximize the window or go to full screen I can see the stats on every corner.

You could possibly check that too and give me your feedback or a fix.

Thanks!

Nikos

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos, 

This is very interesting!  Just to be clear,  you are using the HUD to view system metrics and they are only displaying stats when the metrics are in the top left corner.   

Do you get the same functionality when using System Analyzer to view the metric?

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Yes the phrase below is true:

"Just to be clear,  you are using the HUD to view system metrics and they are only displaying stats when the metrics are in the top left corner.  "

System Analyzer uses its own window, so this has nothing to do with "Analyze Application" and HUD metrics inside the application running.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos,

Sorry, I should have explained what I meant better.   

When you analyze your application with System Analyzer, are the stats showing correctly?  I am asking this because under the hood, the metrics framework supplies both the HUD and System Analyzer with metrics.  I'm trying to determine if its just a UI problem or something more.  

To do this, Analyze Application -> Select application -> Open System Analyzer -> connect to <this machine> -> select the application.   You should see the HUD metrics disappear and System Analyzer will be showing the metrics of that application.   You can subscribe to the metrics you want real time from SA.  Please let me know if any of your metrics are disappearing when using this method. 

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos
Hello. I have already replied that SA shows the stats, but they are all 0.
0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos,

Thank you for your patience and answering my questions.  

I have been able to reproduce your issue using MPC-HC.  I could not get this to issue to happen on any other player, so the issue may be with HPC-HC itself.   It seem that the HUD is drawing "off the screen" because the actual application size is larger then the screen.  If you look at the image I posted below, SA says that the player resolution is 3968x1152 which is much larger then my screen resolution.   This is most likely why the HUD is drawing "off screen" and only shows in the upper left corner which would be 0,0.   

Let  me know if you are seeing a similar resolution difference.   Also, possibly try another player to see if you are getting this same issue. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

Hello.

It's good that you were able to reproduce it.

The same thing happened also with PotPlayer and MPC-BE, IIRC.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

Did you happen to notice the resolution that SA was displaying when you were analyzing these apps?  Was it native or larger?

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Nikos,

I sent you a private message with an internal build that should have the media metrics fix in it.  The HUD issue is till being looked at, so no movement there yet. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos