Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Frame Analyzer Error

Jozin_Z_Bazin
Beginner

Hi everyone. Recently I've tried to profile some dx9 (Managed DX) app and got an error when starting the Frame Profiler:

This captured frame filed to bracket all ergs between D3D BeginScene and EndScene API calls. Loading this frame capture file may close Intel GPA.

Next there was a question whether to continue the loading or not. if submitting "no" the Frame analyzer exits , if "yes" - then we have this message:

Intel GPA Monitor encountered an error when playing back this frame. Do you wish to keep running GPA Monitor without any updates?

As a result, Frame Analyzer either  crashes with an unknown error or loads a few frames and do not shows any useful information.

Now the question: how to fix it?

Thanks for your replies. Jozin

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

As Intel GPA is indicating, there is a problem in your game (probably unmatched Begin/End calls). Though this error may be silently ignored and your game seems to run OK with DirectX, this error prevents Intel GPA Frame Analyzer from loading the frame capture file (we need to do a lot more than just display your data).

So the first thing that comes to mind -- Can you run your game/app using DirectX debug mode to help isolate the issue? Though you shouldn't analyze the game with Intel GPA while debug mode is enabled, the debug mode will hopefully provide info on where in your code the issue occurs.

So please try this and let me know whether this finds the bad call(s). If your game comes out "clean" when running with debug mode, I'll try to provide some other means of tracking down this issue.

Regards,

Neal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

As Intel GPA is indicating, there is a problem in your game (probably unmatched Begin/End calls). Though this error may be silently ignored and your game seems to run OK with DirectX, this error prevents Intel GPA Frame Analyzer from loading the frame capture file (we need to do a lot more than just display your data).

So the first thing that comes to mind -- Can you run your game/app using DirectX debug mode to help isolate the issue? Though you shouldn't analyze the game with Intel GPA while debug mode is enabled, the debug mode will hopefully provide info on where in your code the issue occurs.

So please try this and let me know whether this finds the bad call(s). If your game comes out "clean" when running with debug mode, I'll try to provide some other means of tracking down this issue.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Jozin_Z_Bazin
Beginner

Thanks for your reply, the problem's solved with the putting BeginScene and EndScene to correct places)

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Glad you were able to get this fixed -- please let me know whether you run into any other issues (or if you get a chance please let us know how Intel GPA has helped you!).

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos