Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Frame Capture Failure

Evgeny_K_
Beginner

We develop an application with multiple dx11 devices. And unfortunately we can't use GPA for profiling (Graphics Monitor 2016 R2 v.16.2.299487). So If I change captured device, I can't capture a frame.

1. Download and install latest version of our application: http://renga.sd.ascon.ru/en.html
  2. Run and start a new project (New Project)
  3. Add Facade to the scene (see attachment)
  4. Open Facade view by double-click (additional tab will be opened)
  5. Change captured device to the second tab and try to capture a frame.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ryan_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Evgeny,

Thanks for deciding to use GPA.

I tried recreating your issue over here using the same GPA version you are using (Thanks for providing the download link).  

- I followed your instructions and when I captured a frame with CTRL-SHIFT-C I saw the 'captured successfully' message (a bit hidden by the taskbar of your app :) ).  
- I checked the default save location for frames - Documents/GPA/ - to confirm a frame file was created, it was.  
- I could then open it in our legacy Frame Analyzer app which is for DX9-11.  The legacy version is a seperate exe from the DX12 version - I myself have opened the incorrect exe many times :)

Do these steps match with what you are experiencing?  If not, where do they differ?

If you still cannot capture a frame, could you provide the information in the 'About' dialog from GPA Monitor?  To get this - Make sure Graphics Monitor is running -> click on the GPA Monitor icon in the task tray in Windows -> click on 'About...' -> Click on the 'Save to File...' button.

0 Kudos
Evgeny_K_
Beginner

Hi Ryan,

Described steps match to my experience, but the capturing doesn't work. There is a screenshot about a failure in an attachment.

0 Kudos
Ryan_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Evgeny,

Ahh, thank you for the attachments.  I now see you are using Win7.

I attempted reproducing this issue on Win 7 (I was on Win 10 before) and I did see the capture failure as you are talking about.  I also tried with our newly released GPA version - unfortunately, that also produced a 'capture fail' message.

Is upgrading to Win 10 a viable solution for you?  Additionally, I was using Win 10 with the anniversary update when I had success capturing the frame file.

0 Kudos
Evgeny_K_
Beginner

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for help.

Unfortunately, described solution is incomplete for us. We are usually check our render engine on several computers with different software and hardware.

If the bug will be fixed in a feature updates of GPA, it will be great.

0 Kudos
Ryan_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Evgeny,

I've gone ahead and filed an issue for this in our database.

After talking to the engineering team, unfortunately I do not have an ETA for you on when we will be able to address this.  If I do get one I will let you know.

As a side note, I was able to capture a trace through our System Analyzer tool that can be opened with Platform Analyzer.

0 Kudos
Evgeny_K_
Beginner

Hi Ryan,

I checked the side note. And I see "Capture Failure" message when I use frame capturing via System Analyzer.

0 Kudos
Ryan_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Evgeny,

Sorry for the confusion.  What I meant in my side note was that you are able to take a trace capture (red circle button) or a CSV capture from within System Analyzer.

You are correct, taking a frame capture from System Analyzer will also produce the 'capture fail' message.

0 Kudos