Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 2013 R4: How can I access old version of Platform Analyzer

Cian_M_
Beginner

I downloaded GPA with the express purpose of instrumenting my application with the itt api and using the platform analyzer to view the traces. It look like the current version of the GPA has crippled many of the tracing features and recommends using an older version of GPA. I will refer to this documentation page, http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/gpa/13.4/win/Setting_up_Tracing_Options.htm . How can I get one of these older builds? The download page here (http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/intel-gpa) will only let me get version 13.4.215202 which is the crippled one.

Thank,

Cian. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

I'm checking on this.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Can you please let me know a little bit more about your comment: "It looks like the current version of the GPA has crippled many of the tracing features and recommends using an older version of GPA."

I believe the page you referenced was talking about an earlier version of Intel GPA, where we included multiple versions of Intel GPA Platform Analyzer, and the setup of the product depended upon which version you were using. However, the current released version of Intel GPA only includes a single version of Intel GPA Platform Analyzer, and our intent is that the product is usable for all tracing purposes, including use of the ITT API.

Therefore, please let me know what feature(s) of the current version of Intel GPA Platform Analyzer aren't operating correctly, and I'll work with the development team to figure out what's going on.

Thanks again for your use of the Intel GPA product.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Cian_M_
Beginner

I have attached a screen shot of GPA Monitor configuration screen. As you can see from the from the screen shot all of the trace configuration options are disabled.  I explicitly want to be able to start capturing from application startup and being able to configure the tracebuffer size as in older versions would be nice. I just want to get the "Capture Application Startup" option enabled for starters

If I hit f1 on that page it takes me to this help page: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/gpa/13.4/win/Enabling_Tracing_in_Your_Application.htm

I assumed that was documentation for the current version since it sent me there. From that page the link "Setting up Tracing Options" takes you to a page that says: "The following settings are not available in the new Intel GPA Platform Analyzer. The settings are enabled if you use the old version of the Intel GPA Platform Analyzer." Which brings me back to my question where can I get a version of GPA with these features enabled?

Here is the about information for my install, from the gpa monitor about: 

Windows 7 build 7601, 64-bit DEP enabled
Num Processors: 8
Memory: 16345MB
System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F15 (09/17/2012)
Video BIOS: 3GTX 780 VB Ver 80.10.36.00.AS01 (05/07/13)
Driver 0:
     Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
     Provider: NVIDIA
     Date: 8-18-2013
     Version: 9.18.13.2680
     VendorId: 10de
     ProductId: 1004
     Stepping: a1
     No support for GPA Instrumentation
GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA\2013 R4\
GPA version: 13.4.215202
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current GPA 2013 R4 (13.4.215202)

Thanks, 

Cian. 

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

As I stated in my previous message, the documentation for the current version of the Intel GPA product is incorrect. We are no longer distributing multiple versions of Intel GPA Platform Analyzer -- I've requested that the documentation team update the documentation to reflect the current/correct operation of the product.

However, the current version of the Intel GPA product automatically enables tracing (which is why tracing options are not available to set/clear). To test this, set a "trigger" for frame number = 1, and you will see a message that a trace file has been captured, and can be viewed by the Intel GPA Frame Analyzer. I'll also let the development team know that they should remove these options as they are no longer available.

I hope this helps; if not, please respond and I'll try to help resolve any additional issues.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Cian_M_
Beginner

So it is now a requirement to be using a graphics api to automatically capture traces? Setting the set a "trigger" for frame number = 1 works with the cityracer demo but does not work with any of the itt sample apps such as simple. Is there any other way to trigger capture from the beginning of the app?

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

Sorry that I assumed that you were using a graphic application. Try setting a trigger using the "application time" metric, such as >0, and let me know if this works as you intended.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

One more thing -- I did find out that the latest version of Intel GPA actually installs both an "old" and "new" version of the Intel GPA Platform Analyzer with the Intel GPA 2013 R4 release (with "new" being the default). To select which version to use, open the Intel GPA Monitor preferences, and use the "preferences" menu to set/clear "Use previous version of Intel GPA Platform Analyzer".

When using the "old" version the grayed-out tracing options will then become available.

However, future versions of the Intel GPA product will no longer include the "old" version of the Intel GPA Platform Analyzer. Therefore, unless you are actively analyzing old trace capture files, please start using the "new" version now.

Regards,

Neal

ps-> Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Just a follow-up to this thread...

Based upon feedback from customers, we realize that we didn't do a very good job in showing how to transition from the old version of Intel GPA Platform Analyzer to the new version.

So the development team has worked with our documentation team to create this document -- hopefully you'll find it useful!

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos