Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas
489 Discussions

GPA 2015R2 FrameAnalyzer.exe crash / Calculating... forever

Sarah_N_
Beginner

I'm trying to analyze gpu draw calls of an adobe AIR generated EXE in Windows 8.1. I had this working on this hardware six months ago, but I've reinstalled Windows since then and all the drivers are updated.

I can capture a frame, then open it in the frame analyzer and see the draw calls listed at the top, but the preview pane at the bottom says "Calculating..." forever with little "Loading" icons on the left. The image of the frame never loads and after about 30 seconds (idle or not) the application crashes. I've tried a variety of frames so I suspect the problem lies with FrameAnalyzer.exe not the data it's analyzing.

Crash report:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11786661/frame%20analyzer%20crash.xml

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sarah_N_
Beginner

Ah, I figured it out already. I have an optimus setup with an Nvidia graphics card. It was set to run everything through the nvidia gpu including the graphics monitor. Still - I wish the frame analyzer had said "hey this program is running via an nvidia gpu not an intel one!" instead of crashing.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Sarah,

Sorry that Frame Analyzer was crashing for you.  I'm glad that you found a way around this issue.   

FA should not have crashed when using NVidia graphics though.  The only difference that you should see is a limited amount of metrics. 

Thank you for submitting the crash report.  I'll take it to the dev team to see if we can find the root of the issue. When you had it working 6 months ago, did you have optimus installed?  I am thinking it might have something to do with that.  

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Sarah_N_
Beginner

Six months ago I had the same Optimus setup, but I had Frame Analyzer using my Intel card by default so I never tested running it through NVidia. I recently enabled the "make everything use NVidia" setting while debugging something and forgot it was on (duh moment).

This Frame Analyzer is a really valuable tool for me. Thanks for making it and working to fix any issues!

0 Kudos