Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 3.0: GPA SDK API and Platform View API do not work with Microsoft VS 2010

user88
Beginner
Hello! Sorry if this topic is not concerned to GPA. I google my problem lot of time but with no success.

First of all, i'm not familiar with Visual C++ specific, i use C#.

I downloaded and tried to compile samples of GPA Api usage. As i remember that was solution of Visual Studio 2008. I converted it to VS 2010 and tried to compile. But it compiles with linker error:

Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall std::basic_string,class std::allocator >::~basic_string,class std::allocator >(void)" (__imp_??1?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "protected: class std::_Tree,class taluHeapAllocator >,0> >::iterator __thiscall std::_Tree,class taluHeapAllocator >,0> >::_Insert(bool,struct std::_Tree_nod,class taluHeapAllocator >,0> >::_Node *,struct std::pair const &)" (?_Insert@?$_Tree@V?$_Tmap_traits@VtaluString@@IU?$less@VtaluString@@@std@@V?$taluHeapAllocator@U?$pair@VtaluString@@I@std@@@@$0A@@std@@@std@@IAE?AViterator@12@_NPAU_Node@?$_Tree_nod@V?$_Tmap_traits@VtaluString@@IU?$less@VtaluString@@@std@@V?$taluHeapAllocator@U?$pair@VtaluString@@I@std@@@@$0A@@std@@@2@ABU?$pair@$$CBVtaluString@@I@2@@Z) C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\GPA v3.0\\sdk\\samples\\tal_simple\\tal_dd.lib(tal.obj) simple

Please help.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Fredrik_Zetterman

We also have problems to link with the GPA API using VS 2010, which we use exclusivelyas of now.

We would like to name tasks by using TAL, but are unable to do so since the 2010 CRT libs define these functions differently:

static void __cdecl std::_String_base::_Xran(void)
static void __cdecl std::_String_base::_Xlen(void)

which results in a linker error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
user88
Beginner
Also i want to ask you if there exists any .net managed versions of GPA Api which i can use in my managed project? Or may you know any wrappers for it?
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Currently Intel GPA does not support the 2010 release; are you able to use Visual Studio 2008 instead?

In response to your second question, there are no .net managed versions of the API or wrappers that I've heard about.

Also, can you help me understand how you are planning to use the API?

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
user88
Beginner
Hello Neal, thanks for answer.

We use SlimDX in our .net managed project for 3D visualization. Now i looking for tool to analyze performance of our 3D engine and find any bottlenecks to resolve them. So, i decide to use GPA in such case. As i see that tool is developed for such cases, right?
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I guess I'm really trying to find out if there is something special about your application/environment that requires you to use the API, since most users to date have been able to use the Intel GPA tools directly without needing access to the API. I suggest that you try playing with the tools first, and then see whether you need to drop back to the API for some additional customization.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hi,

Just checking in again...

Please let me know whether you've been able to use Intel GPA, and whether you think you'll need access to the SDK/API (in addition to the base toolset). Also, I'm assuming that you mean the "normal" GPA SDK, and not the Platform View API, which will require programming changes.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
kalculusinc
New Contributor I
Is there a fix planned for this?
Kate
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

We've been looking at what will be required to support this version of Microsoft Visual Studio.

I don't have any specific dates for when this might be supported, but please let me know whether your work flow is based upon using only the 2010 version, or whether you are able to use both the latest and the previous version of Visual Studio.

I'm asking this question so that I can provide specific feedback to the development team on this request. Also, more information about your specific game/application would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Neal
0 Kudos
Fredrik_Zetterman

We also have problems to link with the GPA API using VS 2010, which we use exclusivelyas of now.

We would like to name tasks by using TAL, but are unable to do so since the 2010 CRT libs define these functions differently:

static void __cdecl std::_String_base::_Xran(void)
static void __cdecl std::_String_base::_Xlen(void)

which results in a linker error.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Thanks for your request that GPA support Microsoft VS 2010 -- I've forwarded your request to the development team.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that Intel GPA Version 4.0 now supports Microsoft VisualStudio* 2010.

Please let us know how the new release works for your code.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos