Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas
488 Discussions

GPA 3.0: No DX/GPU metrics are being recorded with my DX9 EX application

rdavies_intel
Beginner
Hi All,
I'm new to the GPA tools, but have setup a target/host system setup and have successfully run the gpasample.exe and see my host machine collecting GPU/DX metrics.

If I run my application, which is MFC with DirectX(D3D) surfaces with windows I see no GPU or DX metrics showing up in the UI?

Does the application have to register with the DirectX/GPU or GPA in any special way?

Thanks

-Richard
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

It ends up that GPA does not support DX9 EX; when checking with our customer base, we find that most of them have moved directly to DX10 or DX11.

However, we are interested in hearing about your use of the product with DX9 EX -- please include more information about your specific game/application, and I'll pass this information onto the product team.

Thanks!

Regards,

Neal

ps->Anyone else out there using DX9 EX? If so, we would like to hear from you as well...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Richard,

Please be sure that your application is actually running in DX mode -- there's the possibility that it's using an OpenGL driver, which is why you won't see any DX or GPU metrics.

If this doesn't work, please run the gpa_system_inspector.exe utility that's included in the install area for the Intel GPA product, and copy that info here.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello Richard,

I just wanted to follow up on this to see whether you've been able to get your application to display DX/GPU metrics. Any luck on this?

Also, to get back to your original question -- no registration by the application is required, because GPA uses application-independent methods to connect to DX applications (but there are potential issues trying to connect to protected games). By the fact that you're seeing system metrics indicates that we've been able to successfully hook into your app, so I don't suspect this is the issue.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
rdavies_intel
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Made some progress on getting DX metrics.

If I createa IDirect3d9Ex and then create a D3D 9 devices with CreateDeviceEx, GPA does not give me any DX/GPU metrics. However if I use a IDirect3d9 with CreateDevice the metrics work.

Any ideas, we have to use the Ex devices?

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I'm checking on this, and will get back to you shortly.

Could you please provide the output of the gpa_system_inspector.exe, which can be found in the GPA install area? Having this information will help me understand the nature of your problem (since different devices and systems have different characteristics).

thanks!

Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

It ends up that GPA does not support DX9 EX; when checking with our customer base, we find that most of them have moved directly to DX10 or DX11.

However, we are interested in hearing about your use of the product with DX9 EX -- please include more information about your specific game/application, and I'll pass this information onto the product team.

Thanks!

Regards,

Neal

ps->Anyone else out there using DX9 EX? If so, we would like to hear from you as well...
0 Kudos
jean-francois_st-amo
Hi Neal,
FYI, we're using Ex as well. At least I stumbled onto this thread quickly and didn't spend a lot of time investigating why I couldn't get anything from GPA. ;)
Cheers,
-JF.
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Sorry that we don't support this API for you, but as you said at least you found out about it fairly quickly.

Thanks for letting me know about your need for DX9 EX.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos