Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA crashing capturing multisample buffer

fyst
Beginner

Hi,

I've been trying to capture a frame that uses dx11 multisample buffers but the application crashes and boots me back to Graphics Monitor with the error "Graphics Monitor Server crashed and was successfully restarted. No additional actions required". Note it successfully captures a frame when I remove the multisample buffers.

Searching the forums, I tried a couple solutions (capturing with HUD turned off and running through System Analyzer) to no avail.

I then tried the auto-detect method and luckily when I capture I get a callstack in my application showing that GPA is attempting to copy a multisample buffer into a mismatch destination. Specifically, 

Callstack:

KernelBase.dll!00007ff861bc4f69() Unknown
igpa-shim-x64.dll!00007fffda667631() Unknown
capture-x64.dll!00007fffd8fc009c() Unknown
igpa-shim-x64.dll!00007fffda666952() Unknown

Directx error is:

D3D11 ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::CopyResource: Cannot invoke CopyResource with a mismatch between the source Resource Multisampling (Samples:2, Quality:0) and the destination Resource Multisampling (Samples:1, Quality:0). [ RESOURCE_MANIPULATION ERROR #286: COPYRESOURCE_INVALIDSOURCESTATE]

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Fyst

Graphics Performance Analyzers:
Version: 22.1.1647438438
Commit hash: 252d8e7a
Installation folder: D:\Apps\gpa\

Operating System:
Name: Windows 10 Version 2009 (OS Build 19044.1645)
Locale: en-US
Windows Developer Mode is enabled
Secure Boot/Trusted Boot is disabled

CPU Information:
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Architecture: x64
Cores count: 12

System BIOS:
Version: American Megatrends Inc. 2101
Date: 11/27/2015

Video BIOS:
Version: !GTX980TI VB Ver 84.00.36.00.AS10
Date: 07/22/15

GPU Information:
Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Vendor id: 0x10DE
Product id: 0x17C8
Stepping: 161
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
Driver Date: 9-30-2020

Machine:
Name: test box
Memory: 65436 MB
Screen: 1920x1200, 32 bit

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Pamela_H_Intel

Wonderful!! I'm glad 22.4 helped. I wish I knew what the issue was. With so many variables - different platforms, different drivers, changes in graphics APIs, etc. - it can be difficult to track issues. But we are constantly working to make things better.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Pamela_H_Intel

For anyone else following this post - I already responded to the poster. My bad. We have a new way to respond and I didn't post in the correct text box. So my response only went to the poster. I will repeat here.

Response #1:

Fyst,

The D3D11 spec says you can copy multisampled resource but the sample count and quality should be the same:

If source and destination differ in multisampled count and quality or if one is multisampled and the other is not multisampled, the call to ID3D11DeviceContext::CopyResource fails. Use ID3D11DeviceContext::ResolveSubresource to resolve a multisampled resource to a resource that is not multisampled.

ID3D11DeviceContext::ResolveSubresource (d3d11.h) - Win32 apps

Copy a multisampled resource into a non-multisampled resource.

Are you seeing a crash without GPA? If not, turn on D3D11 debug layer and check for errors. You should get an error that you are not conforming to the spec . . . if, for example, your resource is a texture and you missed the resolution step.

On this page, remarks section, you can find more info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/d3d11/nf-d3d11-id3d11devicecontext-copyresource#remarks

Pamela

This content is a preview of a link.

docs.microsoft.com

docs.microsoft.com

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/d3d11/nf-d3d11-id3d11devicecontext-copyresource#remarks

Poster's Response

Fyst got back to me - he'd done all that stuff that I recommended.

Summary - PIX and RenderDoc run fine, only GPA crashes. Resources are always resolved. The app doesn't crash when run on its own - only when run through GPA.

Response #2

Fyst,

Thanks for the info. I will need to look into this and get back to you.

Pamela

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

I have escalated to development to root cause this issue.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

There was a delay. We are looking into this issue. Let us know if anything has changedd.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

There was a delay in root causing this issue. We are now looking at it again. Let us know if anything has changed.

0 Kudos
fyst
Beginner

Hi Pamela,

I just tried it again and verified I had the latest update. It still crashes in the same way. For comparison purposes only, I also cross checked with PIX and had no issue capturing frames with multisample buffers.

Thanks,

Blair

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Sorry for the delay. I created a JIRA a couple of weeks ago. Our devs are swamped, but they will look at this when they can.

Pamela

0 Kudos
fyst
Beginner

I just installed version 2022.4 and it seems to have fixed the problem. I read the release notes and nothing specific was listed but it works! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Wonderful!! I'm glad 22.4 helped. I wish I knew what the issue was. With so many variables - different platforms, different drivers, changes in graphics APIs, etc. - it can be difficult to track issues. But we are constantly working to make things better.

0 Kudos