Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

No GPU metrics for OpenGL application

junge__nicholas
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use the Intel GPA to profile rendering applications in Qt. When using the GPA with the provided samples, everything works fine and all the metrics are selectable; however when I try to analyze my own OpenGL program, the GPU metrics section is disabled. When displaying a GPU metric, say for example "EU Stalled %" in the System Analyzer from previous analysis sessions, it appears grey with the word "Inactive" right next to it.

What is the reason for this? I am using it on a Dell XPS 13 with an Intel HD Graphics 630 unit and no additional GPU installed. I can provide configuration details if needed, however since everything works as it should with the provided sample programs, I suspect that I am missing an important piece of information about GPU metric collection. I would be very happy if someone could point me to any kind of documentation on this.

Kind regards,

Nicholas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Hey Nicholas,

First off, thank you for using Intel GPA! Thank you for reaching out to us for help. I'm sorry that you're experiencing some issues. To help me better understand the issue you're experiencing, could you send me the information that appears under the info button: icon.png

0 Kudos
junge__nicholas
Beginner

Hey Giselle,

thanks for your reply. I've added a text file with the information as directly obtained from the info button in the Graphics Monitor.

I've tested a different benchmark in the meantime, and there I was also able to select the GPU metrics. Therefore I assume that they are only available if "triggered" by the source code (i.e. no fragment shader usage in code -> no fragment shader metrics etc.).

Looking forward to a followup, as that would really interest me.

Best regards,

Nicholas

0 Kudos
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Nicholas,

The issue is actually with the version of Intel® GPA. We only added OpenGL metrics in the recent 18.2 release of the tool. To see those metrics you will need to upgrade your version of Intel® GPA to 18.2 from the version you currently have (18.1).

Please let me know if this issue continues with the latest install of the tool.

0 Kudos
junge__nicholas
Beginner

Hello Giselle,

it works now. Thanks a lot for your help!

as it turns out, I was a little quick on that one. For one or two tries the GPU metrics were selectable, but did not record any values; afterwards, they were listed as inactive again. I've attached a screenshot of the rendering window together with the HUD where it says "metric is not available".

However, the HUD working with this application in the first place is progress in itself since it did not work like that before. So thanks for that.

After the update, the Graphics Monitor displays the message "Xperf from the Windows Performance Toolkit is not installed. GPU information in a trace file can be incomplete." Could it have something to do with that?

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed? Anyhow, the HUD works fine now for the application that I profiled, which it did not do before, so that is already progress from last time.

Kind regards,

Nicholas

0 Kudos
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Nicholas,

From the screenshot I see you're using OpenGL 4.5, we currently do not support that version of OpenGL. We cannot offer any promises on the functionality that comes from using Intel® GPA on an unsupported API or platform. If you could send me a private message with the sample you are using to test metrics, I will be able to recreate this issue and pass it onto the engineering team for further analysis.

Like I said, however, we will not be able to guarantee metric functionality.

0 Kudos