Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

DSP Builder and Simulink versions compatibility

AGaru1
Beginner

Hi all,

Me and my company are looking forward to use DSP Builder library on Simulink for fpga design. Before buying any licenses we want to make sure that we won't do mistakes about versions and such. Do you know any perfectly working configuration that includes Matlab/Simulink + Quartus Prime Pro + DSP Builder. We need perfectly matching versions for each of them, if possible the latest . 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Antonio,

The version of Simulink required depends on the version of DSP Builder & The version of Quartus Prime software required depends on the version of DSP Builder.

Please refer to Introduction to DSP Builder for Intel FPGAs latest version documents, under the System Requirements section.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

Hi Anand,

thank you for your reply. I am looking at the table at page 7.

How does this setup sound like?

DSP Builder 19.1 , Matlab R2018b and Quartus Prime Pro 19.3.

Quartus Prime Pro 19.3 is the latest version, i am not sure if it is compatible with DSP Builder 19.1. It is not specified anywhere.

Or perhaps i get a software package with matching versions of Quartus and DSP Builder?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The version of Quartus Prime software required depends on the version of DSP Builder.

we have to use with DSP Builder 19.3 with Quartus Prime Pro 19.3 & R2018b.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

Thank you ! I will look to buy those licenses then.

Greetings

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

Last question. The latest version of DSP Builder is the 19.1, while the Prime Pro is 19.3. Should i get Prime Pro 19.1 or DSP Builder 19.1 will be compatible with Prime Pro 19.3?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

DSPBuilderProSetup-19.3.0.222 is the latest which can be downloaded from below link 

http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/19.3/?edition=pro under additional software.

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

Hi,

i had many troubles running simulations, usually simulink crashes when i click on start simulation.

Sometimes it allows me to simulate the design but i can't really generate the vhdl code. I suppose the trial version doesn't include this feature, am i correct?

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

In order to obtain a DSP Builder license, do i need the Quartus Prime Pro software general license first? (around 4k dollars). And then add a DSP Builder license (around 1900 dollars) after?

Or i can just buy the DSP Builder license?

Thank you

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Apologies for the late reply,

1. About Trial version feature simulation, we have never tested running with a trial version of Quartus with DSP Builder. All the Quartus, DSP Builder and Matlab that we are using are licensed. Sorry for the inconvenience. Based on our experience with customers, they are all using licensed version as well for DSP Builder. Therefore, I believe we will need a license for the DSP builder features to work. As a workaround, since you already have the trial version, you can do a quick try to see if there is any issue running simulation or vhdl generation in Simulink.
  2. Both licenses are required.

DSP Builder design tool requires an active license to the Intel Quartus Prime software.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos