Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
685 Discussions

How can I port RTL module into oneAPI FPGA programming ?

maxhu
Beginner

Hi there, I have been using oneAPI for FPGA programming for a while. I am now trying to port my well-defined RTL module into my oneAPI implementation.

I do read and understand the specification documents provided in oneAPI websites also the openCL SDK development. However, one of these have pointed a very clear way to interact with RTL module using oneAPI.

I am successfully runing a combinational vector-add sample myself, but have no idea how to interact with the sythesized modules from oneAPI with clock driven capability and Avalon-ST interface.

Have anyone done such a tryout before ?

Best. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

i will check and will update to you

0 Kudos
maxhu
Beginner

Hi Hareesh,

Did you get anything back from your colleagues ? I tried implemented a simple Avalon Stream interface based on the oneAPI documents and also the given example. I modified the original combinational logic example into a sequential version. However,  I still lack some more details:

1. I dont konw the exact specification of the required Avalon-Stream interface for porting RTL into oneAPI environment. Is there any worked example or detailed illustration that I can check ?

2. I am able to get the simulation waveform using ModelSim, however, I cannot read the Machine Generated signals... Is there any more convinient way to debug my RTL module ?

maxhu_1-1692051154665.png

3. To my understanding and based on the given documents from oneAPI websites, I wrote the RTL code for porting a simple vector add RTL module into oneAPI, which may not meet the requirements of Avalon Stream interface. The code and XML file are attached below.

`timescale 1 ps / 1 ps

module lib_rtl (
  input   clock,
  input   resetn,
  input   ivalid,
  input   iready,
  output  ovalid,
  output  oready,
  input   [31:0]  datain1,
  input   [31:0]  datain2,
  output  [31:0]  dataout);

logic [31:0] dataout_buffer, dataout_reg;
  logic ovalid_reg, oready_reg;

assign ovalid = ovalid_reg;
  assign oready = oready_reg;
  assign dataout = (oready_reg & !iready) ? dataout_buffer : dataout_reg;

// assign  dataout = result;
  // clock, ivalid, iready, resetn are ignored

always @(posedge clock) begin
    // reset or non-valid input
    // all the signals are default zero
    if(!resetn || !ivalid) begin
      dataout_reg <= 0;
      dataout_buffer <= 0;
      oready_reg <= 0;
      ovalid_reg <= 0;
    end
    else if (ivalid) begin
      ovalid_reg <= 1;
      oready_reg <= 1;
      dataout_reg <= datain1 + datain2;
    end
  end

always@(*) begin
    $display("ivalid = %d iready = %d  dataout_reg = %d\n", ivalid, iready, dataout_reg);
    $display("datain1 = %d data2 = %d dataout %d\n", datain1, datain1, dataout);
  end

endmodule
<RTL_SPEC>
  <FUNCTION name="RtlByteswap" module="lib_rtl">
    <ATTRIBUTES>
      <IS_STALL_FREE value="yes"/>
      <IS_FIXED_LATENCY value="yes"/>
      <EXPECTED_LATENCY value="0"/>
      <CAPACITY value="0"/>
      <HAS_SIDE_EFFECTS value="no"/>
      <ALLOW_MERGING value="yes"/>
    </ATTRIBUTES>
    <INTERFACE>
      <AVALON port="clock" type="clock"/>
      <AVALON port="resetn" type="resetn"/>
      <AVALON port="ivalid" type="ivalid"/>
      <AVALON port="iready" type="iready"/>
      <AVALON port="ovalid" type="ovalid"/>
      <AVALON port="oready" type="oready"/>
      <INPUT  port="datain1" width="32"/>
      <INPUT  port="datain2" width="32"/>
      <OUTPUT port="dataout" width="32"/>
    </INTERFACE>
    <REQUIREMENTS>
      <FILE name="lib_rtl.v" />
    </REQUIREMENTS>
  </FUNCTION>
</RTL_SPEC>

I also read some materials from Intel OpenCL SDK for FPGA docs, there are some documents telling how to mix RTL and OpenCL together, but I am not sure whether they are accurate reference docs. Please give me more details for further exploration.

Thanks for your kind reply and help.

Best,

Jiajun.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee
0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

any update about your issue?

0 Kudos
maxhu
Beginner

Hi hareesh,

Sorry for late reply. I have solved the problem that I encountered. The real question thta I want to ask is that, is there a way to illustrate the implementation of Avalon-Stream interface under backpressure modules ? Although I have solved the problem, I am still confused about the Avalon-Stream interface specified by the Intel OpenCL SDK website.

I do read some examples about OpenCL SDK programming, one for simple combinational circuit and another one for a very complicated extern memory interaction example. The true is that, combinational is too simple but interacting with external memory is too much complicated. Is there a mid-point example that I can explore ?

Best,

Jiajun.   

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos