Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
663 Discussions

Integrating HLS component in Quartus IDE

roya
Novice

Hello,

first of all: I use the Quartus Prime Lite 18.1 with a DE10-Standard Board

I am looking for an example regarding the HLS compiler.

In the hls path of the quartus environment are only the C++ components. I am able to ​​compile them and get a component for quartus and the platform designer.

Now I have problems to integrate them in my system. There are no examples how to integrate them in the platform designer and connect them for example to the NIOS II.

In the picture is a component with slave interfaces, I tried to connect them with the Nios II master and communicate via the given addresses, but it isn't work. It is a simple test component which gives back the result of an addition.

1. Is there anything I forgot in the compilation?
  2. The component should run automatically and always , right?

I will be happy if anybody could give me a working example which I can open in my quartus and can learn how to do it. Or to give me instructions why the communicaton doesn't work in my project.

Thanks for helping!

Best regards,

roya

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you share the project?

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
roya
Novice

​Hi Anand,

thanks for your reply.

I solved my Problem: I added the command "hls_avalon_slave_component", so I got a further slave component with registers where I can start and control my component.

Now I tried to get a component which always runs, therefore I use the command "hls_always_run_component", but then it is not possible to me to compile the component:

error message shows: Compilation failed because component is always run and it is not possible to create a testbench.

Can anybody tell me what compile command to use to compile the component? I use the following command: i++ -ghdl -march=CycloneV myComponent.cpp -o myCompFPGA

In my opinion I have to tell the compiler not to create a testbench for this component.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Roya

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Roya,

Test bench will not be generated, if we dont have main function in .cpp file

just run >> i++ -ghdl -march=CycloneV myComponent.cpp

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
roya
Novice

​Ah okay. Good to know. I will try that out.

Thanks for your fast reply!

0 Kudos