Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
654 Discussions

Is OneAPI FPGA addon available only for Quartus Pro supported boards?

Penteado__Mauricio

Hi folks

Is OneAPI FPGA addon available only for Quartus Pro supported boards?

Is there any expectation to have an addon for Quartus Standard supported boards?

I am working with a physical board. It is a DE10-Standard Cyclone V Soc. My OS is an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
I thought my environment was good, but I am not able to compile the Intel's Simple_Add example for hardware.
On device, the example compiles and runs as expected.
However, I cannot compile it for hardware:

eclipse-workspace/Simple_Add# make hw -f Makefile.fpga
dpcpp -O2 -g -std=c++17 -v -fintelfpga a_buffers.o -o simple-add-buffers.fpga -Xshardware -Xsboard=de10_standard_sharedonly
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++ Compiler 2021.1-beta06 (2020.4.0.0415)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /opt/intel/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.1-beta06/linux/bin
Found candidate GCC installation: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9
Selected GCC installation: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9
Candidate multilib: .;@m64
Selected multilib: .;@m64
 "/opt/intel/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.1-beta06/linux/bin/clang-offload-bundler" -type=o -targets=host-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,sycl-spir64_fpga-unknown-unknown-sycldevice -inputs=a_buffers.o -outputs=/tmp/a_buffers-e1b85e.o,/tmp/a_buffers-b5f230.o -unbundle
 "/opt/intel/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.1-beta06/linux/bin/llvm-link" /tmp/a_buffers-b5f230.o -o /tmp/a_buffers-239549.bc --suppress-warnings
 "/opt/intel/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.1-beta06/linux/bin/sycl-post-link" -ir-output-only -spec-const=default -o /tmp/a_buffers-57ac22.bc /tmp/a_buffers-239549.bc
 "/opt/intel/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.1-beta06/linux/bin/llvm-spirv" -o /tmp/a_buffers-cdd4ec.spv -spirv-max-version=1.1 -spirv-ext=+all /tmp/a_buffers-57ac22.bc
 "/opt/intel/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.1-beta06/linux/bin/clang-offload-bundler" -type=o -targets=sycl-fpga_dep -inputs=a_buffers.o -outputs=/tmp/a_buffers-6ce143.d -unbundle
 "/opt/intel/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.1-beta06/linux/lib/oclfpga/bin/aoc" -o /tmp/a_buffers-0f8f1c.aocx /tmp/a_buffers-cdd4ec.spv -sycl -dep-files=/tmp/a_buffers-6ce143.d -output-report-folder=simple-add-buffers.prj -hardware -board=de10_standard_sharedonly
aoc: Use Quartus Prime Standard Edition for non-A10/S10/C10GX devices. Current Quartus Version is: 
Quartus Prime Shell
Version 19.4.0 Build 64 12/04/2019 SC Pro Edition
Copyright (C) 2019  Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
clang++: error: fpga compiler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [Makefile.fpga:33: simple-add-buffers.fpga] Error 1

Please, can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnilErinch_A_Intel

Hi ,

As of now OneAPI addon is supported in Quartus Pro only.

Thanks and Regards

Anil

0 Kudos
mcordery
Employee

Is it possible that you need a lower version of the supporing Quartus toolkit? If you go to

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

and look at version 20.1.1, you can see that the Cyclone V is supported in the std and lite versions. I would be interested to see if you tried that and it worked as I have a DE10-Nano kit coming

0 Kudos
Penteado__Mauricio

Hi mcordery

The situation is that I was harmed by Intel's advertising.

I invested my money buying a FPGA card to work with OpenAPI, but the FPGA add-on for custom platforms comes with Quartus Prime Pro and It does not have support for my Cyclone V.

Now, what I have is money and time invested in something that doesn't work.

I am used to these situations working with Intel softwares and devices.

Reading the ads, everything looks very good, but when we get our hands dirty, there is always an extremely expensive license or device to make some progress that was not described in the ads.

I am not going to buy an Arria 10 card and a Quartus Pro license to work with OpenAPI with FPGA, it is not fair. I am not part of a large corporation and yet I have to pay as if I were.

I believe I fell into some kind of dirty trap of Khronos, Altera and Intel to earn profits by greasing developers with their ads.

There is no way to work with OpenAPI and FPGA with Quartus Standard supported boards, but it is out of the docs and ads.

Shame of Khronos, Altera and Intel.

0 Kudos