Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
506 Discussions

OpenCL BSP HPS: Are updated OpenCL Drivers / libs for newer Linux kernels available ?

TLeng2
Beginner

I am using OpenCL HPS BSP Packages with the arria10. ( Linux on HPS )

since Linux kernel upgrade the way Linux works with the FPGA changed. I fiddled around about 2 weeks now with the OpenCL Packages.

In the newer kernels ( time of writing i worked with 4.1.168 ) there is no more /sys/class/fpga-bridge it works differently.

see : https://forum.rocketboards.org/t/missing-dev-fpga0-device-on-de0-nano-soc/526

I looked into the driver structure ( aclsoc_drv ) and also in the subsequent files.

I get several kernel panics when using the existing drivers and structures i got with the BSP Packages.

In the file acl_mmd_config.c for example:

// Disable communication bridges between ARM and FPGA

void ACL_MMD_CONFIG::disable_bridges()

{

system ("echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/fpga2hps/enable");

system ("echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable");

system ("echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable");

}

// Enable communication bridges between ARM and FPGA

void ACL_MMD_CONFIG::enable_bridges()

{

system ("echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/fpga2hps/enable");

system ("echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable");

system ("echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable");

}

this doesnt work with the newer Kernels anymore because the /sys/class/fpga-bridge isnt populated anymore......

i switched the kernel back to an old one and they are populated again. ( no changes to the rbfs or dtds nothing. just swapped the kernel with identical buildconfigs.

So my question. is there a new Driver package available ?

MMD driver and the ACLSOC_drv ?

Greetings

Thomas

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Hiroto_K_Intel
Employee

Hello, TLeng2,

I'm sorry for delay for response.

Also, unfortunately, we don't evaluate newer kernel version(4.x) driver yet and please wait for the future versions.

I appreciate if you report your error log such including kernel panics.